#7: The Silver Head Maid

House of Sailine

Eleanor watched from the carriage and noticed that it was a smaller mansion than theirs. Gilbert said that the House of Varian existed even long before the Empire was established 

"House of Sailine are not originally from a nobility. They are one of the merchant faction who clawed their way up", Gilbert noticed the girl looking intently at the house. "Gilbert, did I dress well? I wonder if she will like the ribbons I brought for her", Eleanor sighed. Gilbert patted her head.

"You will be fine, milady", Gilbert assured. 

Inside the Mansion

Guest Hall

The maids offered cakes and tea for the two. "Gilbert, the chef never made me sweets in the house. Does my father forbid them from doing so?", Eleanor asked. "Your father told me that you hated sweet things. You said you don't want to get fat", Gilbert hummed.

After a while, the Headmaid faced them with such nervous voice. 

"My apologies, Lady Eleanor. The lady is sick right now. Maybe you can visit again some other time. I will make sure that she reciprocates the gift you given", The Head maid couldn't even look into Eleanor's eyes.

After some time, Gilbert excused himself because he had welfare with the Duke and Duchess. 

Garden

Eleanor was led outside the garden. She saw someone with worried eyes.

Eleanor wondered if she was supposed to butt in. What if it's Claudia and she doesn't like to see her?

The girl turned and saw Eleanor. Her eyes were filled with horror. "Claudia? I didn't mean to scare you. Well, I just don't even know if it's you. You were crying so I decided to just stay here with you ", Eleanor scratched her nape. "Did you really lose your memory?", Claudia asked with a shaky voice. Eleanor noticed how scared she was. "Claudia, I was scanning some of my papers and I saw your name. I'm trying to recall some of my past and I think you're the only one I can ask for help from. I understand that you don't want me to bother you again. For all the things I've done when we were younger, I deeply apologize. I know that might not be enough", Eleanor bowed.

"Lady Eleanor. No, please raise your head. I... I'm the one who should apologize that I am cutting my ties with you. You're the first one to reach out to me when we were new in the noble society. I was just being ungrateful", Claudia bowed and held unto her chest.

The first one to reach out.

Claudia apologized for the nth time. "No. Don't apologize. I'm the one who was rude here", Eleanor chuckled.

This will be an endless exchange of apologies.

"Let's do it this way then Claudia. Please allow me to make friends with you again. This time, I will treat you properly. In exchange for that, allow me to visit you and I hope you visit me as well", Eleanor made a deal.