26. THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM

We were all gathered in my grandparent's mansion after returning from the Godforsaken party three hours ago

Three fuckin' hours.

I cannot believe that they took them away from us. It seemed as if the bad luck followed us every single time it came to the women of our family.

Everyone was distressed as half of them sat with the head in their hands and the rest kept pacing around.

"I can't fucking believe this." Dad spoke in exasperation.

Zia Veronica was crying while Zio Asher comforted her as he sat beside her, emotionless, staring at the floor. Javier was sitting quietly in the farthest corner, his whole body appearing to be tense, and his fists closing and opening over and over as if he was trying to contain his anger. Zia shay sat massaging her temples as Zio Zanvil was on a call with someone.

Before anyone could speak any further, Zio Leo entered the house with Zia Caterina following closely behind her. They both appeared to be troubled greatly, I mean we all were. But something about his expressions did not sit right with me.

And the fact that Sylvia had looked at him before she was taken away was all the more reason why I suspected him to know something.

"Zio." I acknowledged in a calm voice.

He looked up at me, his face resembling a blank canvas, as he strode nearer and stopped when he stood a few feet away from where we all were.

"What took you so long?" Grandpa asked.

He remained quiet for a solid minute before opening his mouth to speak, "Caterina wasn't feeling so well." He told in a curt manner.

"What's going on, cara?" Grandma inquired this time looking at Zia Caterina.

She cleared her throat and seemed to be contemplating her answer before she finally decided to speak, "Nothing, just a slight headache."

Grandma sighed and motioned her to sit down on the couch, to which she complied with a small grateful smile before taking a seat and casting a worried glance in Zio's direction. I frowned at the exchange between the two and it heightened my doubts.

"You knew, didn't you?" Grandpa asked looking directly in Zio's eyes.

He swallowed and looked away, not meeting anyone's gaze.

"He knew what?" Dad asked in confusion.

"I saw her looking at you, Leo. I have been in this shit for too long to not notice such looks." Grandpa probed, ignoring dad's question.

His jaw ticked and so did mine as I stared at him in anticipation. What was he hiding?

"Zio." I spoke for the first-ever since returning back home.