34. CALL MY NAME

There are two emotions in my life that I have never felt at all; helplessness and fear

There are two emotions in my life that I have never felt at all; helplessness and fear. But that all changed when she came back to Florence. I have felt both of these repeatedly ever since Sylvia. I felt helpless when I arranged a sort of makeup dinner for her and dragged Selena with us because I was too much of a pussy to be alone with her, and when she lost her best friend and came home looking like a lost child. I felt fear when I saw her lying on that hospital bed helplessly because of her ulcer, and when she got shot and I found her in a tattered state at her place, and when her period pain was too immense to bear with. However, I felt overwhelmed by both of these emotions when I was told how she was taken advantage of and none of us knew about it because she carried it so effortlessly, it appeared as if there's no weight on her shoulders to begin with.

I saw her face even before she sensed our presence and I would be lying if I said it did not knock the breath out of my lungs. She looked so fuckin' broken and not just physically, but also mentally. Her eyes were so void, and form so shrunk as if she had not eaten a morsel in days.

Or maybe she actually had not. Maybe, they starved her.

And that thought alone angered me. Her eyes scanned the crowd before stopping on Aless and she did a double-take before blinking and doing another survey to find...me. As soon as our eyes connected, she glared at me with a fire lit in her forest green eyes before breaking the staring match and casting her eyes down to the ground.

I was impatient, very impatient. I wanted all of them by our side as soon as possible but the fuckin' Aguillard thought it would be good to test my already thin patience.

I heaved a sigh of relief, trying to be as subtle as possible, when Cara was engulfed by Javier in a tight embrace and he took a step back to keep her out of their sight.

"Is that enough?" The fucker had the nerve to joke about something like this so I glared at him, harder.

"Sorry." He spoke raising his eyebrows and I saw his fingers that were curled around Sylvia's frail arm, loosen making me gulp in anticipation.

I just wanted her here, right now. She was unable to even stand on her own.

Her eyes widened a fraction and she looked up at him instantly to which his jaw clenched and they continued to stare at one another for a solid minute.

Sylvia was not fidgety in his presence as the last time and it was odd because she tends to get extremely uncomfortable when a stranger touches her but right now, she seemed perfectly fine with his hand on her arm.

We exchanged wary looks with one another as she continued to stare at him, her bottom lip wobbling slightly and I saw a pained expression masking over his features but he quickly got rid of that and swallowed hard before tightening his grip once again and pushing Selena, who was standing on his right, forward.

Dread settled in the pit of my stomach as I saw her stumble forward and looking back at Sylvia who said something so quietly that I could not hear. Selena started to walk towards where we were standing with her head stooped low and tears falling down on the ground. My heart was pounding against my chest and my fists were clenching and unclenching repeatedly.