30. TWO WOMEN, SAME STORY

"Obrien Aguillard

"Obrien Aguillard." He spoke looking at me with a mischievous glint in his green eyes.

My eyebrows furrowed as I stared at him in confusion. My eyes raked over his face and hair trying to make sense of something but my brain was fogged and I just wanted to lose consciousness.

I woke up in a soft bed a few minutes ago but my hands were in metal cuffs above my head and he was standing in front of me with a somber expression etched on his face. My legs had deep gashes and I internally winced at the shooting pain when they rubbed against the silky material of the bedspread.

My lips moved but no sound came out, my throat was as dry as the Sahara desert. I coughed a little and faced away from him not understanding a single word.

He stalked towards me making me shrink in fear but what he did next shook me.

"Here," He spoke bringing a glass of water near my lips.

I cast him a wary look and he nodded his heads towards the glass so I hastily gulped it down my throat in an attempt to soothe my parched throat. When I was done, he placed it on the nightstand beside me and took a step back making my forehead crinkle in confusion.

"Obrien Aguillard." He repeated.

I gulped, "What?" I managed to croak out.

"Augustine's twin." He stated sensing my confusion.

I gasped soundlessly as I stared at his face which was a carbon copy of his brother's. Well, he did say they were twins, right?

But how come? It was never even mentioned before, not even in the records.

"You see, my mother separated from her husband after he physically abused her, one night, and she took me with her. Her husband, although heartless, actually loved my mother so he let her go on the conditions that they don't get divorced and Augustine stays behind. So I grew up in London with her, living away from this...life. But she passed away last year so I had no choice but to return here. My mother's husband is a powerful man, he has a way to get things done and so he forced me to join the French mafia." He explained.

I did not miss how he kept referring to his father as 'his mother's husband' and another thing was crystal clear, he grew up disliking his father and Augustine must have grown up hating his mother.

A broken family.

I was shocked, to say the least, and my eyes involuntarily darted to his legs to which he chuckled briefly, "I am not the one you crippled, Sylvia."

"Wh-why are we here?" I asked looking around the bedroom.

My head was throbbing lightly with pain as I moved it to take in the masculine interior of the huge room.

"Your companions are in the basement rooms but I was told to give you a slightly better treatment so I brought you up to mine." He answered casually.

A shiver went up to my spine and I swallowed the lump in my throat as I remembered that this time, I was not alone. Cara and Selena are here, too and I have to save them.

"Listen, please I beg you, don't hurt them. One of them is pregnant, please. You can do whatever you want with me, just please don't harm them." I pleaded as tears finally formed in my eyes.

Fate has a twisted way of dragging you back exactly to the place you first ran from to escape your demons and dark past. I was right back to square one. To the place, that completely ruined my life. I was, once again, at the mercy of these people but this time I was not alone. I had two other people whose safety I needed to ensure even if it cost me my life.

He looked at me with an emotion that I could not quite decipher. I was not in the right state of mind.

"I am going to tell you something, Sylvia, and I need you to listen to it carefully," he started to say as he took a seat on a chair placed a few feet from my bed before he continued, "What you just said, was plain stupid. And if you were to say it in front of Augustine or his dad, they would make sure to do just the opposite. They will hurt them, and they will make you watch every second of it." he stated in a grave tone.

I was so confused at this point. Why was he being like this? Like he did not want them to hurt me or the others.

"I am a good man, Sylvia, or at least my mother thought so. I run my own business in London and Italy, and before you ask, I use my mother's surname on legal paperwork. You see, this mafia life has taken away the one good thing in my life; my mother. So I am sure you can imagine my feelings towards it. I was forced back to Italy against my will and I absolutely loathe everything that goes on in here. When I got to know about what happened to you four years back, I swear I felt as if I will puke my gut outs but then you shot at Augustine, a few months back, and well, nausea lessened." He tried to joke but failed miserably given he saw that I was eyeing him as if he has grown horns over his head.

He raised his hands up in surrender before speaking again, "Bottom line, I don't want to hurt you or any of those two girls but I cannot guarantee what happens to all of you when it comes to other people. I'll help you out of here Sylvia, but don't fuck with me because then I will kill you."

"How can I trust you? This could be another one of your plans to lure me in until I fall in another merciless trap with no way out and you all will have something to have a good laugh about." I retorted in a weak voice.

Everything hurt.

"You have had your fair share of losses because you were born in this life and I am sure you know how it feels to lose the people you love the most. It kills you from the inside, and it makes you wanna stay as far away as possible to avoid any further disasters. This is exactly what I am doing, currently. After this is all over, I will be going back to London to my fiancé and my business there. However, I am gonna be honest here and have you know that I, in fact, am going to use you and your family to my advantage. I know how things go down here when two Mafias collide so I am betting on yours to finish mine so I can be free of all these shackles around my feet." He shrugged as soon as he ended his long speech.

I looked at him in disbelief. Did he trust Italians to finish off his family? Not that it was impossible but it's just that it was his family.

"You really don't like your family, huh?" I asked in wonder.

All traces of emotions left his face at once and he sat there with a blank look and cold, green eyes.

"When people die, you can't see them ever again." He whispered while stroking my hair gently.

I swallowed quietly and looked away from his intense stare to avoid the goosebumps that threatened to rise out of my skin.

"I am so sorry, in advance, to whatever happens to you." He spoke and got up to leave.

Just as his hand reached for the doorknob, it froze as I asked him the next question, "What happened to your mom?"

"My father's enemy raped her before slicing her throat."