36. LIVING ARRANGEMENTS

I woke up from a deep slumber when I felt something wet sliding down my fingers

I woke up from a deep slumber when I felt something wet sliding down my fingers. After I finally willed myself to open my eyes, I was faced with a familiar cream colored room of the infirmary.

I blinked my eyes to look around the dimly lit room when I realized that my hand was clutched gently in someone else's. I recognized the familiar mop of tousled raven hair and I swear, my heart a skipped a beat.

I brushed my finger against, what felt like, his cheek and his head instantly snapped up to look at me. I was shocked to see his red eyes brimming with tears and I figured that this was what I felt against my fingers; his tears.

A choked sob released from his mouth making my lips part in sheer astonishment and I felt panic bubble inside my chest.

"A-Adrian." I whispered.

"Shut up! Fuckin' shut up." He whispered.

He pressed his palms to his eyes and sobbed hard. He was actually fuckin' sobbing and I felt so confused and helpless because I did not know why he was crying.

Adrian Aksel Knight was sobbing for the very first time in his life.

I gulped and reached my hand towards him before grabbing his fingers and peeling them away from his face. He eventually opened his bloodshot eyes and looked at me with so much vulnerability swirling in them that it nearly knocked the breath out of my lungs.

"Who gave you the right to make decisions like that? You think you're so worthless that you, you can die? You took all of that to protect this family? Just how fuckin' selfless are you?" he questioned gesturing at all the bruises and marks on my body which was wrapped in a light purple hospital gown.

"They would've hurt them, Adrian. You don't understand-" I began to speak but he intervened.

"No, you don't understand. I could have lost you." He whispered the last part in a broken voice.

I was tongue-tied after that statement as I stared at him, open mouthed, not knowing what to say anymore.

"It's okay, they both would've been safe. Are they alright? Where are they?" I asked after composing myself.

"They're fine at home." He replied peering at the ground thoughtfully.

"I-I don't feel the pain anywhere, why?" I questioned knowing fully well that I was too battered to be feeling this numb.

"Zio Paul injected you with a drug to temporarily numb the pain. He feared your body wouldn't be able to handle it." he explained.

I nodded my head and silence fell over us. My eyes found his face to see immense relief masking his features as he stared at the heartbeat monitor. Tears still fell down his face quietly and his grip on my hand was firm, not painful, but firm.

The events of the past week started to swarm my mind as I stared at the wall in front of me, wordlessly. The way I was brutally beaten and was kept from food and water along with the verbal abuse but I was somewhat relieved at the moment that I was no longer held captive by the people who ruined my life the very first time.