1. THE CHARACTERLESS CAT

WARNING! TRIGGER ALERT.

"Is there a word for a cat slut?" I whisper asked my brother over the phone while my attention was solely focused on the fat orange and black cat who recently gave birth to three kittens, the third time.

Her small hiding spot was located behind the bushes of my garden. Every two months she'd get knocked up by some other stray male cat and give birth in my garden. My house was practically a maternity home for her.

I called her 'cc.' Characterless Cat.

A booming laughter echoes from the other side of the phone making me from widely.

"You need to stop stalking the poor cat." Aless said.

"She lives in my house, Aless. I can't be blind to her shenanigans even if I wanted to." I replied rolling my eyes.

"You have a point. Anyways, when are you coming home?" he asked.

I sighed and turned around from the window to face my two-bedroom apartment. I settled in New York four years ago to get my double degree in behavioral neuroscience and counselling psychology. Both related to the same field; psychology.

I have always been interested in human psychology ever since I was young. I wanted to know what makes us behave, act and react a certain way and how our mind is linked to it.

"I'm graduating next week. I'll be home for good probably." I told him as I settled on my dark blue couch.

My apartment was average sized, painted in cream color and furnished with items in a dark blue color. I had four windows in the living room and an average sized kitchen made of marble mostly.

"I miss you." he mumbled sadly and sighed.

A sad smile tugged at my lips knowing fully well that his face was supporting the biggest frown right now.

"Me too, little brother. I'll see you on Saturday." I reminded hoping to cheer him up.

"Yeah, six more days. I guess I can live with that." he replied.

After talking to him for a few more minutes, I hung up and checked the time to see that it's almost eleven pm.

I switched off the lights and climbed three stairs that led to my room. Living alone had its perks as well as downfalls. I was often joined by my best friends, Liam and Talia on weekends but other than that I was all on my own.

I opened the door to my bedroom and a strong scent of roses hit me. I inhale deeply before closing the door behind me. My room was painted in cream color however the wall, behind my queen sized bed, and the ceiling was made of glass.

I absolutely loved it.

There was a small blue study desk pushed against a wall and a matching chair on the left side of the bed. There were a few family photos hanging on the bedroom wall unlike the paintings and sceneries hanging in the living room.

I changed into a white silk top and shorts before going in the bathroom to brush my teeth. My bathroom had a big cubicle in one corner, next to the toilet, that consited of a large bathtub and a shower attached to the wall.

I looked in the mirror to see my brunette hair, which I inherited from my father, tied in a messy bun and my forest green eyes looking tired and empty.

I missed home.

I rinsed my mouth and washed my face before getting comfortable under the sheets.

My phone dinged and I opened it to see a WhatsApp notification in the family group. My heart fluttered as I saw a picture of my childhood crush with my brother, Aless and zia Xenia, his mother with the caption 'I ain't shopping with these two again.' The picture was sent by my brother.