18. HAPPY FUCKING BIRTHDAY

I moaned in pain and swatted the hand that was caressing my cheek in my sleep

My right hand shot up to my head and clutched it tightly. I could feel the painful throbbing in the back of my head.

It hurt like hell when I tried to lift my head up.

"Careful." I heard a voice and a second later a hand cupped the back of my head to prevent it from hitting the headboard.

I opened my eyes and blinked twice to clear my vision, "What are you doing here?" I asked harshly.

I grabbed his wrist and pushed his hand away from my head.

"Go away." I whispered and groaned in pain before resting my head on the pillow again.

"Get up. You haven't eaten anything." he ignored my protests and sat me up on the bed.

It felt as if someone had tied a ton of bricks at the back of my head with a rope.

"Oh God." I whimpered.

Suddenly I felt bile rising up my throat and I threw the sheets off before running to the bathroom.

I emptied all the water I had consumed the entire day and was dry heaving now. My body was shaking and I felt as if all the energy was being drained out of me.

When I moved to flush the toilet, I saw Adrian standing behind me with my hair gathered in his left hand.

He helped me get up and I walked to the sink brushing his hand off of my back.

I grabbed my brush and squirted some toothpaste on it before grabbing the sink for support and started brushing my teeth.

Adrian was still there, looking at me through the mirror, but I didn't dare make any eye contact with him.

When I was done, I splashed water on my face and neck and turned to leave. Adrian's hand came to rest on my back once again and I stopped walking.

"I don't need your help, really. Please leave."

"Stop being difficult, Sylvia." he spoke coldly.

"Stop pretending you care, Adrian." I whispered weakly.

"I am not pretending." he gritted out.

I scoffed silently and twisted my body to face him fully now. Lifting my shirt up, I pointed at the small yet prominent purple bruise that had formed not so long ago.

"You were saying?" I asked quietly.

His lips parted as realisation dawned on him and I saw guilt and hurt flashing in his grey orbs.

"Just leave, Adrian. I am sorry for what I did but I will die happily to save the love of your life and this family if it ever comes to that. That much, I can guarantee you. Just please, go away." I pleaded and without casting him a second glance, walked back to my bed.