8. BURYING THE DEAD

I stirred in my sleep as I felt someone drawing circles on my bare stomach and opened my eyes

"Morning." Adrian whispered huskily in my ear.

I just nodded my head in response and closed my eyes again to let his touch lull me back to sleep.

His hands were resting on my bare stomach and were slowly caressing the area under my breasts, tenderly.

"Wake up." he whispered softly.

I shook my head in negative and turned in his hold.

"It's been ages since I've slept like a baby. Please let me sleep and stay here." I mumbled in his chest.

"What do you mean by that statement? Is everything okay?" he asked with worry evident in his voice.

Uh oh.

"Of course. With the university and all, it was rare to get this good of a sleep." I replied and placed my hand on his mouth to keep him from talking more.

He pulled me impossibly closer to him and removed my hand before burying his face in my hair. And we both fell asleep once again.

***

The next time when I woke up, however, the bed was empty and cold with a note neatly placed on his side of the bed.

There has been a kidnap attempt on Selena. Thankfully, she was saved by the guards but is in a pretty bad shape. They hit her. I've to be there with her. See you, tomorrow. Take care.

-A

A strong wave of pain hit my insides but I ignored it and picked up my phone to call home and ask about Selena.

"Hey dad, what happened to Selena?" I asked as soon as dad picked up the call.

"We're not sure who it is, kiddo. But we're trying our level best to find out. Zanvil is this close to losing his shit since somebody tried to harm his babygirl but we're all thankful that she's safe, save for the few bruises and scratches." he explained.

"Oh. Did she try to fight?" I inquired.

"Mm hmm. But as you know she hasn't learned much so it was a futile attempt." he told.

"Let me know when she's able to talk. I'll call again. Take care, you guys." I said.

"Sure. You, too." he replied and ended the call.

I sighed loudly and checked the time to see that its one in the noon and hopped out of the bed.

I showered, brushed my teeth and changed into a mustard colored babydoll cotton dress with a brown crossbag and white converse before heading out.