Isolation

"How is that even possible?" I said questioningly

"How is that even possible?" I said questioningly. "They were only showing signs of basic symptoms before we left."

When Shane and I arrived at the front gate in the night, about an hour or so ago, I practically collapsed with only taking a step inside. As soon as I knew I was within the barriers that kept us safe, I fell apart. I was exhausted, malnourished and dehydrated, and Shane was almost unconscious from the loss of blood. My entire body was pulsating with this fiery numbness, as if I was a stress ball, it felt as though somebody kept squeezing me every few seconds. I couldn't control it. My body was telling me I needed to rest and I couldn't fight against it any longer.

"They were killed." Rick sighed, as he sat on the edge of my mattress, resting his hand on my lower thigh. "Tyreese found them. Their bodies had been burnt—"

"Not alive?" I almost preyed.

"No- no. Caleb took a look at them, whoever it was put a knife to the backs of their heads before burnin' the bodies." He explained.

"So it was an act to stop the virus spreading?" I deduced. "Jesus..."

I pushed myself up slightly, as I laid on my side; following Hershel's instructions to ease up on the heavy duty work for the night.

"How's Zach?" I continued.

"He woke up a few hours ago. He's still a little drowsy, but uh- he's doin' alright." Rick said to my relief.

"An Charlie?" I pressed, worrying over the young child I had left.

"He won't talk to anyone- or sign to anyone. He won't even look at us, I've tried, Beth tried, even Daryl." Rick explained, only leaving me confused. "He's jus'- he's shut off."

"But when I gave him-"

And then it hit me. I gave him to Karen, who is now dead and I left, leaving everyone to worry. He just lost his father; he's alone. He must feel as though everyone keeps abandoning him.

"Rick, can you find him for me?" I asked softly.

"Just as long as you promise to stay here an rest." He raised his eyebrows towards me; to which I nodded in agreement. 

Rick rose from his position and placed a gentle kiss on my forehead, pursing his lips together as he looked down to me, before leaving the cell. I could tell he wasn't happy with me, but he was too good to say anything while I was in this state. I sighed deeply, feeling as though my head was going to explode from the last forty eight hours.

A smile soon rose to my face when I felt a paw dab my upper arm. Turning my head, I found Kai sat beside me on the floor.

"Hey, you." I smoothed my thumb against the bridge of his nose. "We saved lives today."

He let out a little whimper, as if he knew exactly what I was saying, before deciding to curl up on the ground beneath me. I raised my injured hand, slowly bending my fingers and tensing my muscles, feeling a tingling sensation around the wound itself. The bandage was already stained with the dark red substance, but at least now I could tell it was my own.