Now

"Alright, I want you all to listen up

"Alright, I want you all to listen up." I spoke loudly across the open space, as everyone gathered up around me. "We have lost people today- friends, family, loved ones. But they wouldn't want us to stop fighting, they would want us to keep going. If not for us, then for them. For the life that was taken from them." Their faces were pained, traumatised by what they had seen and it was left to me to find their will to go on. "This place will hold, an this community will not fall." I looked over to Maggie, Merle and Rosita. "The others will be back- the groups that are still out there, they will make it home. Until they do, we have to work with what we know—"

"Which is?" One of the women spoke up questionably, watching me with folded arms.

"That a portion of the quarry herd is heading straight for us." My words caused a ricochet of whimpers and gasps, which I silenced quickly enough. "I said it before an I'll say it again- Rick had a plan to lead them away, an I have faith in that. But what you all need to realise is that out there-" I pointed through the gate, "anything an everything can go wrong. Plans get messy, people get hurt an threats amount. So as much as I have faith in our people out there- with Daryl, Abraham an Sasha leading the herd away, an Rick, for distracting the ones that broke off, an Glenn, Shane, Michonne, Noah, Nicholas, Heath, Scott, Annie, everyone. We also have to prepare for if things don't go to plan. We have to be ready for when they get back."

"What do we do?" Jessie asked, stepping forward slightly to offer her services for whatever needed to be done.

"We need set teams. One for the clean up to take our people to the graveyard, an pile up the intruders for when we get a chance to dispose of them outside of the walls. Any takers?" I looked around the crowd.

"I'll do it." Jessie was the first to volunteer.

"Me too." Zach raised a hand, readjusting his balance on his prosthetic leg. "I can use the trailer."

"That's good." I nodded, "Two more?"

"I can help." Samantha stepped forward shyly, followed by her oldest daughter Clara.

I walked towards the north facing wall, where the front entrance stood. "Now, these walls will hold. But we've got a weak point where the truck hit an if that herd gets here, it's gonna put a lot of pressure on that one section. Pressure we should try to lighten if we can, so I want a group to set up the remaining stump beams we have and get them angled up against the wall."

"I can lead that- I know how to make it the most stable to give us a better advantage." Tobin explained.

"Perfect, you know the people- you pick your team." I stated, before moving my gaze to the remaining crowd. "I want a lookout in each direction of this place—"

"I'll take the north wall." Rosita stepped forwards with her rifle at the ready.

"I'll take east." Spencer did the same.