The Raft - Part One

"You may have won the battle today, Bella, but the war is just beginning

"You may have won the battle today, Bella, but the war is just beginning." Strand called through the radio, startling me since I thought we had put enough distance in between us and them. "You can remind Morgan for me... I still have people he cares about, and you'd be lying to yourself if you said you didn't care about them as well." He was right, I would be. "June, John, Charlie... that list is longer for Morgan, be sure to tell him that too."

My eyes blinked away from the old friend, as I whistled for Kai to check out our surroundings to ensure we hadn't been followed. With a steady hand, I held the radio close to my lips. "Without June, you have no health care. Without health care, the Tower falls." I coldly reminded him. "You may think you have the upper hand with threats, Strand, but you couldn't be more wrong. I already gave you my warning, don't make me act on it."

"Yep, still gives me chills." Ezra murmured from beside me, tugging the sleeve of my coat back up after bandaging the wound Strand had given me.

I sighed deeply, mentally preparing myself for all the ways that this could possibly go wrong as I rose the back of my hand to my forehead. The weight of the world only seeming to get heavier on my shoulders... "What the hell?"

My eyes gradually opened as my hand slowly moved from my forehead and to my side, the noise of the undead growing louder in the near distance.

"Do you think they followed us?" Miya asked worriedly.

"What do you mean by they?" Dwight picked up on her choice of words, before a thrown narrowed on his face. He took a few large strides toward me before unhooking the cover over Mo's carrier, allowing him to see through the clear shield protecting her from the contaminated air. "Baby Mo..."

"Look, I know you're gonna have questions, so do I, but they have to wait. You're just gonna have to choose whether or not to trust me right now." I almost pleaded, still feeling the shock of him standing right before me. The chances. He looked just the same as I remembered him, as though I had only seen him yesterday.

"Bella, I know you're feeling sentimental right now—"

"Excuse me—"

"But we have no idea who he is- it's been years!" Ezra argued, grabbing me by my lower arms as he pushed his way between Dwight and I. "He could be working with Strand for all we know. We don't know if we can trust him—"

"I do" I stated sternly, clearly expressing my annoyance at his outburst. "I trust him."

"Can you really trust your own judgement right now?" Ezra asked to my surprise. "Or are you just wanting to hold on? After—"

"Don't!" I cut him off, quivering within his hold as I foresaw the name he was thinking about, the name that haunted my heart every damn day.

"Let's save this for another time. Right now, we need to get to hell out of here an lose these damn walkers." Miya attempted to break the tension.