Killer Within

Bella's POV

Later in the day, the Governor and his men set out to find the rest of the army veterans that were stranded, with information given by the lone survivor from the helicopter crash. Except when they returned, none of the soldiers were with them. Instead, they practically paraded through the main street of the town in several army trucks, no doubt filled with precious cargos of weapons and vital supplies. To which the Governor conveyed a compelling speech, seemingly to honour the fallen comrades, but I could see right through it.

"You were right." Michonne magically appeared beside me, as I walked down the high street, heading in the direction of the Governor's apartment.

"Down here." I instructed, leading Michonne down an alleyway between two buildings. I quickly looked up, checking no windows were open for anyone to eavesdrop. Satisfied that we couldn't be heard, I gave my friend a subtle nod to continue.

"The trucks had bullet holes runnin' all through them. There was a fight, a big one." Michonne explained for me. "An blood."

"Walker or human?" I asked.

"Human. Fresh." Michonne stated, forcing me to conclude that my deductions were correct.

"We're leaving tomorrow, as early as possible. We can wait one more night, Andrea needs it." I expressed.

"But he's dangerous. We always said we wouldn't put our lives in someone else's hands, now we're willing to do that with this Governor?" Michonne retorted angrily.

"What do you want me to do?" I questioned, mouth gaped towards her as I began gesturing with my hands in annoyance. "I am doin' the best I can! Last thing we need is to go back out there before Andrea is ready, she won't make it a second time round! Another twelve hours is nothin'."

"Another twelve hours is everythin'. Another minute is everythin'. You know it only takes a second, a single second—"

"I know!" I whisper shouted, pushing myself up against the wall as I brought my hand to my forehead, feeling the pressure weigh over me. No matter how much I knew Andrea needed a little longer to rest and recuperate, I couldn't deny Michonne's statement because she's right. We're only playing into his hands the longer we stay here, and the more at risk my family are. "I know Mich, I know. If Andrea can make it, we'll leave tonight."

After a moment of silence, Michonne placed her hand on my shoulder, giving it a light squeeze. "I know you're trying, but we're not safe here. He's hiding something."

"I know." I repeated, bringing my gaze up as I leant closer towards her, keeping my words as quiet as possible. "This mornin', when Shane an I went to see the Governor, he took me to the rooftop so we could talk privately. An it was somethin' he said towards the end that caught my attention. When I asked him if he was alone. He said, just my daughter an me." I explained, biting down on my lower lip slightly. "But I've asked around, the only person that's seen his daughter is Doc an that was months ago, closer towards the beginning of Woodbury. Otherwise, there's nothin'. On the books, there's seventy three residents here, an a Blake daughter ain't one of them."

"Okay, so what do you think? He's keepin' his daughter locked away or something?" Michonne asked, furrowing her eyebrows towards me.

"I don't know, but it's something big, something dark. There's something he's clinging on to, an I need to know what. It doesn't matter when we leave, if these people are in danger, they need to know." I stated. "Which is why I'm going to the Governor's apartment."

Michonne shot a glare towards me, clearly disagreeing with the idea she had conjured in her mind. "He won't be there, he's with that sci—"

"Isn't that the point?" I smirked slightly, knowing only too well that Michonne would approve once she realised exactly what I was doing. "Come on."