Secrets

Rick and I spent majority of the night talking about the revelation of walkers in the nearby barn. At first, he was angry. He couldn't stop pacing back and forth as I sat watching him from one of the logs by the laundry line.

"I know you're angry. I was too." I expressed, making sure I kept each word as quiet as possible so we didn't wake anyone up.

"You're tellin' me thats changed?" Rick snapped, quickly straightening his stance and turning his back to me. He felt uncomfortable raising his voice at me the way he just did but it was understandable. I'd had some time to process it while Rick lost all sense in this place and the Greene family as a whole.

"A part of me still is, but not because of the dead being there. More so because they didn't tell us." I began explaining, earning Rick' attention as he sighed heavily and rubbed his hands over his face. "Hershel is a Christian man Rick. He has them locked up in there for a reason. Maybe he thinks God has a plan, maybe he even believes they're just sick. Either way, we have to try to understand it."

He watched me intensely, his anger diminishing by the second and his eyes softening on mine. "We jus' can't risk it."

"I know." I replied, nodding my head firmly. "But we've gotta meet him in the middle. If we don't, you know what will happen. Maybe we can offer to reinforce the barn, make it safer for whatever reason they have to keep them in there."

Rick began mulling over my words and we continued our conversation on ways to make the barn safer. It wasn't an easy subject to discuss but we realised the position we are in. If we push anything, we will be banished from the farm and our chances of finding Sophia will lessen even more. Whereas, if we cooperate as best as possible, we can keep our group safe and stay here for longer until we reunite Carol with her daughter.

The sun soon started to rise above the trees and I watched the golden light glow against my skin, feeling the heat that radiated from it. A tingle travelled along my spin, causing me to shiver slightly and roll my shoulders back. Rick and I had made the decision to talk to Hershel at first light, hoping to get the ball rolling as soon as possible and keep it from everyone until we were certain the barn was secure.

"Why'd you come to me?" Rick asked, as we walked towards the main house.

I looked up at him, confusion plastered all over my face. "What do you mean?" It caught me off guard at the times I couldn't read him. I pride myself in knowing people, knowing how they think, knowing their next move before they have even thought of it. The world is a puzzle in my mind and I like to keep a few steps ahead.

"Belle', nothing phases you." Rick said as we reached the edge of the front porch, with his mouth slightly gaped. "You are so resilient but last night, I saw fear in your eyes. You knew exactly what to do about all this an ya still came to me."

I took a moment to process his words, biting the inside of my cheek as I did so. I leant into the posts against the porch, a sigh escaping my lips. "Jus' cause I'm resilient doesn't mean I don't get scared Rick." I expressed, pursing my lips together briefly. "I was petrified. I just kept imagining the dead bursting through those doors an ripping you all to pieces. It was like a nightmare. I jus' kept thinking how empty I would be without you. You're all my family now."

He smiled at me, taking his hands from his hips and bringing me into a warm embrace. It was nice. It was more than nice. It felt right. Rick had become my best friend in this new world and so quickly too; I've never felt this kind of sentiment towards people, or not since my mum and brother at least. My mind travelled back to last night, after I had found out about the walkers in the barn. The feeling of Rick' hand against my cheek. How soft it felt as I leant into his touch. I frowned to myself, shaking away the thoughts.