This Sorrowful Life

Bella's POV

Bella's POV

"You realise he won't follow through, right?" Merle questioned. "Soon as he gets you, he'll come straight here. Kill everyone. Might even make you watch."

I nodded subtly towards him, knowing exactly would could happen but also knowing exactly what would if I didn't comply with his demands. "It's Andrea, I can't let anythin' happen to her. Only reason she went back there was for the people, to keep them safe. I- I won't let him hurt her."

"What if she's already dead? Huh?" He retorted. "Then your lil' sacrifice is for nothin'. We lose our most valuable player, an all on- on a shot. You really willin' to take that chance?"

"I am." I responded, without hesitation.

Those single words spoke like daggers to Merle. He knew I was prepared to not make it back and a part of him seemed to admire the decision, despite disagreeing with it.

I watched my group form around the tables in the foyer, as I revisited the conversation I had with Merle yesterday. It felt strange to confide in him, but I knew for this task, he was the only one I could possibly trust.

Today, was the second day. The day I made my choice. Although, I knew what I was going to do as soon as I read the letter. It was early, we hadn't even hit dawn yet, but time was of the essence. Every moment we had, we needed to utilise to the best of our abilities.

"How're we lookin' on the fortifications?" Rick asked around to everyone.

"Everything is in place." Carol spoke up.

"Glenn an I put the tin sheets along the lower half of the railings around the lookout towers." Shane explained, that having been a last minute altercation.

"We're stickin' to our original spots though, right?" Maggie asked, wondering why we were bothering with the towers when those who were staying in the prison would be deep within the tunnels.

"Yeah." I answered, moving closer beside Rick to face everyone. "We wanna make them use as much of their fire power as soon as they get here. Having the panelling along the lookout posts will make them think they have something to take out."

"All we have left to do is move everything out." Carol finished, pursing her lips together.

"Alright, that's good work everyone." Rick praised. "Let's pack things up an get it all in the vehicles. Today's the day we get our lives back."

I watched my family move off to carry out their final task, in what seemed to be slow motion. In my mind I knew I was embracing the moment, taking in each and every face, knowing it could be the last time I saw any of them again.

"Ma'am." Axel spoke up, suddenly appearing by my side.

I looked towards him, as he brought me out from my trance. "It's Bella, please." I smiled weakly, noticing how nervous he seemed to be. "Or Bells."