30 Days Without An Accident

Bella's POV

Bella's POV

"All in favour of Bella as Council Leader?" Hershel asked the large crowd of people, majority of which raised their hands despite many of them barely knowing me. "Then it's settled."

I was in shock, confused, and unwilling to move. It didn't make sense to me. How could it? Yes, I had led my platoon into battle many times. I had governed trainees and commanded soldiers of various ranks, but this was different; this was a community of people looking for a life that didn't exist anymore.

I'm a warrior, not a Governor.

"I'm so glad you're back." A familiar voice spoke, wrapping her arms around me from behind. "It's not been the same without you, it never is."

I turned to find Maggie with a wide grin planted on her face. "I missed you." I exclaimed, wrapping her in my own hug. "How are you?"

"I'm good, but what about you?" Maggie asked in a concerned voice, pulling me back to look me in the eyes. "Did you do what you needed to do out there?"

Did I? I wondered.

Maybe.

Maybe not.

Looking past her eyes, I saw Glenn and Daryl talking amongst themselves, with Carl making his way towards them. Turning even further, the group of people began to disperse, as Carol, Axel and Shane started bringing in the loaded bags of weaponry. I felt Maggie's grip on me disappear, as I angled myself to look at Merle and Ezra walking into the courtyard. Everyone here; they are a part of what is left of the human race. That tiny glimmer of hope that we can make a life for ourselves. A fresh start. It could be possible.

We can make it possible.

Rick's POV

Her gaze finally landed on mine; conviction running through her eyes. She was meant for this, and she was ready. All this time she kept me going. She kept me alive, living, when all I was ever focused on was surviving. She taught me what it meant to be a worthy leader, someone people could trust and count on. Now it was her turn to take the ropes.

She was like a new light. A new beginning. A new end.

And this was it.

Our chance.

I felt my cheeks begin to ache from the everlasting smile attached to my face. I couldn't help it. It's what she brought out in me. The goodness, the hope, and the joy. It was all her.

Bella's POV

- Five Months Later -

"You're gettin' slow in your old age." I panted, wiping the sweat from my brow with the back of my padded hand.

My eyes narrowed together, as I watched Shane aim to throw a hit against the inner side of my right knee. I dodged the jab, but surprisingly to me, he had already seen ahead and wrapped his spare arm around my shin. My back slammed against the gravel floor and Shane quickly stood over me, shadowing the sun from my eyes.