The Bridge

One Month Later

One Month Later

"In regards to our makeshift levee upstream, given the current rate of spring runoff, I'd put its expiration date at another six to nine days. After that, it's slam, balm, sayonara cofferdam." Eugene explained as we walked through the basecamp we had set up for the working parties on the bridge.

"How fast can we have those supports ready?" Rick asked from beside me.

"Well, ditto on the six to nine—"

"Five." Ezra interrupted, causing the four of us the halt in place as Eugene shifted uncomfortably and let his clipboard of logistics fall to his side.

"If we boost our juice and shed the lead, five is an obtainable goal." Eugene hesitantly agreed, only for Ezra to cut in again.

"We could even make it in four, we have enough people and resources at the Sanctuary to push this further than we already are." Ezra stated.

Rick gave steady looks between both Eugene and Ezra, but ultimately put his faith in the man based at Alexandria. "I'll talk to the foreman, we'll get things movin' an aim for five to six. We don't want to push—"

"Rick,-" Ezra cut in once more, "-all due respect, I've done the calculations. This type of construction is something I've worked on before. I know what I'm talking about- not sayin' Eugene doesn't—"

"It mightily sounds like you are." Eugene murmured in a gruff tone.

"I"m telling you... we can push this- we have to. We can't let it be such a close call." Ezra said.

As I turned to face Rick, I could see the confliction in his eyes. After seconds of contemplating what was right, between pushing our working force to possible exhaustion and getting everything complete in good time or giving slack and leaving it up to fate, and whether or not it was even my place, I spoke. "Rick, if Ezra says we can do it then we can."

"Alright, we push this." Rick finally agreed, causing me to share subtle nods with Ezra, his appreciation for me defending him.

"Scouts got back." Rosita pulled in beside us once we continued our way through the camp. "Horatio's gonna pass us by, but it'll be close."

"Head count?" I asked.

"One hundred and change." She exclaimed, causing a frown to set deep between my brow. "What- you think we should push the blasting?"

"If we wait we'll draw in herd Margaret- that's at least five times the size. We can't risk it." I explained. "We have the sirens in place. Everything goes as scheduled- if this herd still comes, we'll redirect it. It'll work."

"Alright, I'll let the others know." She nodded in my direction before heading back towards the communications tent.

As I looked up to Rick, I caught him looking down at me with pride-full eyes. "What?"