Nebraska

Everything connected together pretty quickly in my head after the young girl emerged from the barn. The day Rick and I found her headband, there were two sets of footprints and sign of a struggle with a slight blood splatter up one of the trees. I thought it was Sophia getting chased by one of the dead, stumbling on her way as the walker left a blooded trail behind it. But it wasn't Sophia being chased by a walker at all, it was Otis using a snare pole to bring Sophia back to the farm; as the family hoped for a cure, refusing to believe the dead could rise again.

The quiet groans brought me back from my thoughts as I put together the pieces of the puzzle. We all watched to our side as Carol ran forward, reaching out for her daughter until Daryl wrapped his arms around her to hold her back.

"Sophia, Sophia, no..."

Carol's cries pained us all. All this time we had been looking, searching tirelessly, combing through miles worth of woodland when right under our noses, she was here. Unconsciously I brought my hand to my side pocket, feeling for the headband I had tucked away. I looked down as I pulled the pink band out, feeling a tear roll down my cheek at the same time. My eyes were drawn back to Sophia and I slowly paced my way toward her, pulling out my hunting knife from my belt and knelt down. The wait for her to get to me felt painfully long but once she did, I placed the hand that I held the headband in against her collar bone whilst carefully bringing my other arm around her right shoulder, positioning the blade of the knife against the back of her neck. To make this as quick, painless and tidy as possible for Carol, I pushed the blade up through her skull, causing her body to fall limp into my arms. I steadily laid her body down in front of me, reattaching the pink band around her head. "I'm so sorry." I whispered, wondering if her spirit was watching. "I'll look after your mom."

A large hand caressed my shoulder and I turned to find Shane by my side, his eyes filled with sorrow. He knew his actions were right and as much as I hate to admit it, if it hadn't been for him instigating this entire scenario we may never have found Sophia, but there was also a part of him that felt regret for it all. "It shouldn't have happened like this." He spoke softly towards me.

"No, but we can't change it now. We get through today an we do better tomorrow." I placed my hand on his, knowing deep in my heart that there was still hope for him.

"Don't look. Don't look." Daryl pulled Carol to her feet, trying to turn her away from the horrific scene in front of us all.

I turned behind me to find Rick in complete shock, guilt running through his eyes. "Rick." I stepped towards him, running a hand along his upper arm. "Hey, look at me." I pulled his face to look straight at mine. "This isn't on you."

"No, no!" Carol shouted suddenly, pushing Daryl away from her and running off towards the tents. My heart completely ached for her. I can only begin to imagine the indescribable pain of losing a child.

Shane moved from our side, walking towards the side of the barn but my attention was brought to Beth, who's cries had become even more hysterical as she wandered through the crowd, heading towards the dead bodies. She was searching for her mom.

"Hey, wait, wait." Rick tried to stop her but nothing was getting in the way of a daughter trying to find her mom.

I spotted Andrea coming out from the barn, giving me a nod to confirm that no more of the dead were lurking inside. I watched Shane come back around from the side of the barn with a brown coloured blanket in his hands, which he carefully laid over the top of Sophia. I turned to find Dale stood just behind Lori and Carl, and my initial thought was to run to him for a hug but my sentiment was soon replaced with fear as Beth's cries turned into vicious screams.