How It Has To Be - Part 1

Bella's POV

Bella's POV

We took out the snipers.

We used what firepower we needed to take down the dead, and create the barriers as planned.

Simon led a team to guide the herd away, and towards Hilltop.

Gavin was instructed to lead a group to the Kingdom,

And the rest of us got out.

Destination: Alexandria.

"I'm givin' you till the moon hits east." The moonlight shone down on my brother as he spoke, and the chilled air misted after every breath he released. "It ain't long, but it's as long as I can give you." Just as I was about to walk away, his hand clasped around my forearm and halted me. "I know you're gonna be more than tempted to warn them, but I'll fuckin' know... and then I won't have any conscience for beatin' the shit outta Rick till his heart stops beatin'. Do you understand me?"

My tired eyes looked up to him once again, and I subtly nodded my head.

"If I don't see you back here by then, I'll assume you found another way out. Get those kids- get them out of here."

And with those words, and his warning, I made my way.

"I won't have any conscience for beatin' the shit outta Rick till his heart stops beatin'."

I can't let them see me.

I can't mess this up, this one pivotal moment.

I wanted to scream, to let myself completely shatter because for once, I couldn't see a way out. I couldn't see a way forward.

How do we beat this with so much weighing against us?

If I hadn't even suggested that we find a way out from the Sanctuary, maybe we wouldn't be here.

Or maybe we would. Maybe there was nothing I could have done to avoid this very outcome.

As I approached the nearest wall, I began climbing the lookout post. Once I pulled myself up and onto the platform, I looked down at the limp body beside my feet; the Alexandrian that the Saviors took out. Him being only one of four that had already been murdered to ensure our entry into the sanctuary I had begun to call home.

Creeping my way across the tall walled community, I couldn't help but notice the overwhelming silence. It seemed so empty, lifeless even, as though the hope had been sucked out of it. Or maybe they had found out; maybe by some ray of chance, they had anticipated Negan's arrival, and escaped. Or perhaps that was wishful thinking.

My feet were heavy, as I sunk myself into a split decision; do I take my children and run, or do I warn my family and risk their lives?

I was fighting my anxious mind, desperate to keep my joints and limbs from trembling.