Fallen

The golden glow warmed my skin, it was heavenly

The golden glow warmed my skin, it was heavenly. Rolling my shoulders back, stretching my neck out to the side, I slowly opened my eyes and adjusted to the brightness of the lowering sun. A thin grey cloud was beginning to set in the air, blurring the view I had been soaking up over the past hour.

I looked to the ground beneath me, as I stood beside the tree, staring into the faint patch of dark crimson grass; where Merle had died. Shifting my gaze to the hole I had dug next to it, I knelt and placed the barbed wire bat of my brothers in its grave. Blood rushed to my head as my hand gently ran over my stomach, I have to let go... for you. Finding my emotions get the better of me, again, I sucked in a deep breath and placed the Governors gun beside Negan's bat. Both demons confined to one space. "I'm not afraid anymore..."

"What're you doin'?" Rick asked as he entered the room.

"I'm leaving." I replied, packing whatever I felt I would need.

"What- no, Belle', you can't leave. I- I know—" He cut himself off to start fresh, watching me intensely as I purposely avoided his gaze. "I know what I did. I know what it means, but it was for the future- it was for Carl—"

"Don't." I said firmly, bringing my stern expression to him. "You know just as well as I do that it was never about keeping Negan alive- Carl knew what would happen, he knew what we might have to do- what I would have to do. So did Merle." Shaking my head, I sighed. Still unable to accept that either of them were gone. "It was never about keeping his heart beating, it was about you just considering it could work. You gave up on people, Rick. You gave up." I shrugged my shoulders, flinging the lid of my rucksack over itself and tying it up securely. "Carl wanted you to believe in people again. He wanted to bring you back- so, it was never about Negan living. Never. It was about you because everybody looks up to you, they always have. And what good is a leader if they can't even believe in what they're leading."

My words cut deep as he watched me, attempting to conjure up a plan that would make me stay. "Please, don't go."

His voice was so sweet, tender to my ears. I wanted to stay, I wanted to love him with every remaining beat of my heart, but I couldn't. "I don't wanna go, I just have to. I can't be here anymore, not after- I can't be where he is."

"Then we'll make another cell somewhere else. Maybe Glenn—"

"Are you serious? Hilltop- really?" I questioned in astonishment of his ignorance. "Rick, my brother murdered Hershel right in front of Maggie while she was at risk of miscarrying. He had Glenn beat black and blue, tortured for days on end. He's the reason Sasha's dead. He tormented everyone that has ever mattered to either of them. You can't seriously think they would keep him as a prisoner after all of that?" He knew I was right, but I could tell he was just desperate to hope. He was desperate to make sure this would work, that everything we had fought for was worth it in the end.