How It Has To Be - Part 2

You are just as much my son as the baby in my belly

"I've felt that with me every day." Carl smiled weakly.

"Mom!" Judith cried out, as Tobin carried her down with Charlie by their side.

"Hey- hey, babies." I took Judith from our dear friend and lowered myself to Charlie's level. "You okay?"

"Yeah," Judith said happily enough, unaware of the dangers surrounding her.

I smiled weakly before looking to Charlie and signing, *Are you okay?*

*Something's wrong, isn't it?* He signed back with a look of anticipation and knowing.

I swallowed the lump in my throat, how do I do this? How do I tell them about their big brother, and is this even something I can do without Rick? I don't know how.

*You need to be strong for your big brother, can you do that for me?* I asked painfully.

He side-glanced me to look down at Carl, clearly noting his state. *He's been bit, hasn't he?* My brow furrowed as the my eyes continued to blur with never ending tears; Charlie's expression didn't falter, or at least he wouldn't allow it to. *I've seen it happen before, and you taught me how to be strong.*

He has seen it happen before, to the only family he had left before I took him under my wing and treasured him as my own. I pressed my forehead to his and placed a delicate kiss on his cheek before moving away. *You are strong, and that's how I know you can be strong now—*

"—I can tell him." Carl had rested his hand on my shoulder.

I gave him a subtle nod, before placing Judith in the cot that had been brought down here and then looked back down the tunnel, "Tobin- what meds do we have down here?"

"Not much, but we do have a basic supply—"

"Don't." Carl halted me.

I turned back to face him, avoiding the growing concern of our people in the tunnel. "I can make you more comfortable- you don't have to feel as much pain—"

"It'll be wasted on me, where it could be life saving for someone else." He said honourably, only furthering my pride in the person he had become.

"Take this at least, we've got plenty." Tobin offered a bottle of water, and I took it without hesitation.

"Thank you." Carl and I both replied in unison.

It didn't take long for our people in the sewer to work out what was going on, and exactly what was wrong with Carl. As we all sat in waiting, listening to the heavy footsteps above, the blasting explosions and hurls of swearing and shouted threats from the Saviors. My eldest son had courageously told Charlie what was wrong, giving him his sheriff hat and informing him it was his job to look after everything now. Carl had tucked into my side as I held him, and all I could do was use every bit of strength in me to be strong for him; to be the person he needed me to be, whilst my heart was being torn from my chest.