Reality

I threw my bag onto the chair at the end of the bed, rolling back my shoulders as a shudder escaped me and my brow furrowed tightly

I threw my bag onto the chair at the end of the bed, rolling back my shoulders as a shudder escaped me and my brow furrowed tightly. I sighed, for probably the hundredth time today. And as I stood, revisiting the events that had passed and what had been lost, I found myself thinking of one person.

"Tell me that's the last piece." I begged, my finger tips digging into the concrete pillar outside of the museum.

"That's the last piece." Siddiq complied.

"Agh-" Stifling the agony, I bit down on my bottom lip and tightened the muscles in my back. The small shard of glass causing my skin to ache with wicked fire."You said—"

"You told me to say it." He reminded me, as I heard the fragment drop to the ground. "But that was the last one. We just have to wait till we get you back to Hilltop."

"How's she lookin'?" Rick asked, his boots scuffing over the gravelly path as my eyes were instantly drawn to his presence.

"Very well... considering. She just needs to rest." Siddiq explained, switching his thoughtful brown eyes between the two of us, soon sensing he was a third wheel. "I'll leave you both to it."

After thanking him, Siddiq left us to talk.

Rick was on the verge of speech, his face tangled with confliction, clearly finding it difficult to form his words the way he felt them. Much like myself. Until he looked into my eyes, "I thought I lost you- when you fell. I- I thought—" He looked away, as though he was worried about being heard, or perhaps worried about getting this wrong. Closing the distance between us, his chest towered over mine and his breath warmed my skin. "I think about how life would be without you- I mean if you weren't here. If I couldn't see you- feel you- if I couldn't know that you were safe... alive. I already went through that once, I can't go through it again." He said with such surety as the intoxication built, his scent overwhelming me, his words tugging at my racing chest. "I don't know where we are anymore, Belle'. I just know you're my soul mate. Losin' you... more than I already have... would be the death of me- of who I am now."

But before I could even respond, he left my side at the calls of his name. I watched him leave, his scent lingering in the air around me, still having my own words that needed to be said.

I was about to rub my hands over my tired face, when I looked... properly and fully looked at them. "How many times am I gonna be covered in blood that isn't my own?" I pondered softly, knowing the question would go unanswered. Every crease in my skin was dyed by the dark substance, mixing shades of deep crimson.

"You got it?" His fingers gliding across mine as my eyes lingered on his touch, before meeting his bright eyes.

"I've got it." I nodded.

His strong frame came up behind me, his chest meeting my back and his arms protecting me like a cocoon. I held out the reigns for him to take, but instead he entwined his hands with mine. Turning my head over my shoulder, I looked up to him, only to find a longing expression enduring on his face. The look of love persevering...