Near Death Experiences

"No, stop it! Please just stop!" I screamed from the top of my lungs

"Baby, go!" My mom shouted down to me as she pushed my father away, "I'm right behind you sweetie! Go now! Go!"

I feel so afraid to take my eyes off her, afraid of her disappearing as soon as I do but I need to do as she says and so, I ran down the steep wooden stairs. Skipping as many steps as possible as if my life depended on it, heading towards the front door. I grasped onto the handle, tears streaming from my eyes while I begged God to save us, to save her.

"Please..."

Suddenly, a loud thud brought my tears to a halt. I need to hold them still because I'm afraid to make a sound, afraid to move. I need to be strong. The silence is deafening, all I can hear is my father' deep breathing and nothing else. I slowly turned, dropping my gaze to the ground to see my mother laying motionless. No rise of the chest. No twitch of the finger. Nothing.

"Momma..." I almost whispered as my breathing hitched in my throat. The sudden movement at the top of the stairs caught my attention and there my father stood, looking so proud of himself.

"She fell." He pulled the smallest smirk onto the edge of his mouth as he spoke.

I brought my attention back down to my mother. I need her to move. Why aren't you moving? I need her to be okay. "Momma, please wake up..." I steadily walked towards her, leaning over her now limp body. "Momma..." I brought my hand to her cheek, smoothing it lightly. She feels so cold. I can't lose her. I'm not ready.

A jangling of keys gained my attention as the front door began to open, only to reveal my brother. He's home from his shift at work.

"Dear lord, no. No. No! No!" He dropped everything he had been holding and ran by my side, pushing me away in the process, "Don't look!" But my eyes are glued, I need to watch, I can't look away. My brother began CPR on my mother. Why didn't I think of doing that? Why was I so slow? I could have done something. I should have done something.

"I can't lose her..." I cried, finding myself unable to stop. "I just can't..."

My eyes shot open, "I can't..." I cried, pulling myself up from the laying position I had been in and instantly feeling an excruciating pain run through the top of my left leg. A whimper escaped my lips as I grasped onto my leg like a natural reflex, hoping that would somehow numb the burning fire in it. I blinked a few times, taking in my new surroundings; the white walls with cream skirting boards, old pictures attached to the wall on my left, the furniture looked to be made from walnut. I twisted my body slightly in an attempt to sit up more as I squinted my eyes, focusing my attention out of the windows in front of me. "This is the farm..."