The Day Will Come When You Won't Be

The crimson liquid dripped down my knuckles as I wrapped my fingers firmly around my shaky wrist. Watching the flow of blood drain from me, I sucked in a sharp breath against the scorching rims of my eyes, desperate to forget.

"Bella..."

"Come on in," He smiled.

"Hey, you're okay."

"Watch the life drain from her..."

"I got you," His sweet voice sounded.

"She fell."

Stop, I yelled silently, tightening my eyes shut. My mind was never ending chaos; voices consumed me, haunting me, reminding me of it all. Yet my exterior displayed nothingness. I felt cold, tired and somewhat lifeless. As though my body was giving up, but my mind was troubled with fury and grief. Every breath was weighted in suffering. My limbs were burning in soreness, and I felt myself unable to move.

I just wanted the noise to stop. I wanted the pain to end.

Shattered glass lay across the frosted floor as I pushed harsher into my skin, forcing out more blood than the natural flow. A small pool formed between my risen knees, growing with every droplet. Within the blood, I could see myself. My reflection, dark and still, was battered and worn. My skin was dry with a blood flicker across my face... his blood.

"No..."

"Argh—"

Horror filled cries and screams all around me.

"Oh- look at that... takin' it like a champ!"

My eyes burnt from the need to cry, but having no tears left to dampen them. Save me, I clutched my hand around my mouth, attempting to silence my sobs.

"If I do this, you'll have nobody left..." He said worriedly.

"An if you don't, we both know what'll happen." I expressed, putting the person I loved more than anything above myself and my growing fear.

"You have her courage, you know, her strength. You've got it all, an then some."

"So do you," I fought back the tears. "We shouldn't have to be this strong, but we are. We're makin' it out of this. You jus' have to go first."

He chewed on his bottom lip, pushing through the rising emotions as his deep brown eyes stared down into mine. "I love you, lil' sis."

"An I love you."

"For always."

I knew how things went now, how much people could change in this dark, dreary world. The cruelty hides within us all. You cannot survive without knowing what it takes, and more importantly, acting on it.

But this...

This deadened me on the inside; I felt numb, with my head throbbing and my pulse erratic, I felt so cold within my own touch. A part of me had been snatched away. Another part of me was lost. I had this rage before. I had this uncontrollable fight to tear them all down, one by one, but that was the problem. My ferocity was uncontrollable. It wasn't naivety or ego, it was all out of love. My saviour complex always called to me, and I acted with it. Inevitably causing what became our reality.

"Anybody moves, anybody says anything, cut the boy's other eye out an feed it to his father, an then we'll start. You can breathe... you can blink... you can cry... hell, you're all gonna be doin' that..."

My shoulder blades dug up into my neck and I broke forwards onto all fours, eyes widened in shock and horror as he swung Lucille with a mighty force, as if he had drawn on power from the ground beneath him. With a thud against the gravel, he, somehow, rose back up onto his knees, fighting through the battering like the soldier he always had been.