Chupacabra Part Two

Rick and I had been walking through the woods for about twenty minutes before we got to our grid

Rick and I had been walking through the woods for about twenty minutes before we got to our grid. He made sure to keep nailing pieces of yellow cloth to mark our route as we went. The sun glistened through the clumps of leaves attached to the trees and it was beyond beautiful to see. The weather had been stifling these past weeks but to be able to feel the sun hit your skin left me with goosebumps. I kept my eyes focused on all the surroundings within my one hundred and eighty degree radius, treading carefully with Rick pacing behind me, acknowledging that I was in tracking mode. Even though he hadn't said a word, I could still hear his thoughts and it was off putting.

"What we now discuss is delicate Rick. I need you to understand that as hard as it may be, you mustn't lash out at any party involved." I expressed, switching my gaze between the ground and about four foot high, knowing exactly what to look for if Sophia had been through here.

"Alright." Rick replied, his tone deepening.

I stopped in my tracks and turned to face him, swallowing the clump that had been building up inside my throat. Just as I was about to speak, my eyes narrowed at him. There was something there, something he wasn't telling me. Around his eyes had darkened, he's barely slept. He stood up straight and started fiddling with the wedding ring around his ring finger, he's uncomfortable about something in his marriage. I looked back up to meet his gaze, finding his eyes look deep into my own. "You already know." I concluded. "About Shane an Lori, you know."

Rick' eyebrows furrowed as he sighed deeply. "I guessed as much."

The sadness took over, I could see it in his eyes despite how hard he was trying to keep it buried. "An how does that make you feel?" I questioned, turning my back to him once again and focusing on the ground in front of me.

"How'd you think it makes me feel?" He asked rhetorically and there was the anger.

I pursed my lips together, narrowing my eyes on a branch about one metre in front of me and only three feet from the ground. "I think it makes you question what exactly your marriage is. You love her, she's your wife but you don't know how to process this. You're angry at the thought of anyone else touching your wife like that, even angrier that your best friend was the one to do so. You want to make things work for Carl but you don't know if you'll ever be able to forgive her for what feels like the ultimate betrayal." I deduced, carefully hunching myself over to the branch to find exactly what I had suspected. A tiny piece of fabric from what I was certain was Sophia' top. Something that would be totally undetectable to the average naked eye.

Rick tutted from behind me. "You don't know me Belle'." He was being defensive because he didn't want to admit to the truth, he didn't want to acknowledge it as something he would have to deal with and he didn't want to show a side of himself he considered to be weak.

"I know plenty an I got that right, didn't I?" I turned back to face him, standing up from my crouched position and leant back against the tree on the other side of me.