Arhee

I met someone

I met someone.

An arrogant, aggressive bastard, with an ego so large it almost matched my brother. He was compulsive, angry, and self centred upon his own rage. But beneath it all was a tormented soul; a someone who carried so much, feeling as though they had been cut off from the rest of existence, to fight the greatest fight alone. I could see him, before he ever realised it.

We're not too far gone. We get to come back.

Such simple words held such meaning, guiding me through these long days; the comfort those you have lost can bring in dire times. Every time I spoke those two sentences, Hershel's voice changed slightly, which terrified me. That's the problem when you lose people— the longer time that goes by, the more their faces, their voices, they way they seemed to be, would change. It becomes harder to remember. Really, each time you do remember is based on the last time you remembered rather than the actual moment. Our memories become fazed with age and agony.

After another day of travelling, we made it to Fredericksburg. We only had a few more miles till we came upon their base. Fortunately enough, this tied in with my journey back home too. How I long to get there again... after such a dark time of needing to run from it. The moment I get to engulf my children in my arms keeps replaying over and over in my mind. Not long now, just one more war to win.

"You're smiling." Gideon spoke up from behind me, keeping his touch around my waist light as we rode Nelly together.

"Is that a statement or a question?" I asked in return.

"Either, doesn't matter to me." He replied.

My brow furrowed, as it seemed to do consistently every few minutes in his presence. Such an ass. "Then why bother saying anything at all?" He groaned without uttering any words, no doubt cursing me internally. "How'd you even pick up on that— you're behind me—"

"I sense things." He stated, only causing me to sigh.

"I know what it is to sense things, but at least I'm not weird about it." I murmured.

On the outskirts of the city, where things were miles quieter, we occupied one of the abandoned houses with a fenced off backyard to leave Nelly in while we snuck out the base of these people. Once we got ourselves sorted, we headed into the centre of Fredericksburg. Tall, thick, no doubt reinforced walls acted as a barrier to guard whatever they had overtaken inside, with only one visible entrance and exit. Walls, we expected. Walls, we could manage. It was what they had created as a perimeter to the walls that we had not anticipated. A layer of the dead, both biting and limp, piled on top of each other with spikes sticking out, acted as a moat surrounding them. If it wasn't so gruesome, it would have been genius; not only did it act as another layer of protection, but it masked the scent and sound of the living inside. It was dark, but it was clever.

After assessing what we were up against, having circled the sizeable border, we decided our safest and most undetected way inside would be through the sewer system. I should be used to that pungent stench, but no, it is a smell that could never grow on you, no matter how often you end up scurrying through a drain system.