Strangers

"How'd you wind up with 'em anyway?" Abraham asked me.

I smiled, remembering the first encounter as if it was only yesterday. "That is a long story, an definitely one up for interpretation."

"Well, I look forward to hearin' about it some day." He smirked, giving me a knowing look as he sat on the other side of the small fire we had burning away. "An a wife now too. God damn—"

"You seem so surprised—"

"You remember yourself, right?" He shot back quickly, chuckling away to himself. "I'd say you settlin' down was more unlikely than the end of the world back then, yet here we are."

"Two in one." I tilted my head, stoking the fire gently. "It's good to see you."

"Likewise." He replied, causing my already wide smile to extend further than I thought possible.

"So, how do you both know each other?" Rosita asked, setting herself down beside Abraham.

I let out a short sigh, as Abraham and I raised our eyebrows at each other in amusement over the circumstances. I noticed Rick sit down next to me, with Judith in his arms, as Carl, Michonne, Maggie and Hershel joined us too, connecting the circle together.

"Okay- well, it was my first day of training. I'd just been briefed. I walked out of the office with my superior, an Abraham is the first person I meet. He comes to me, an he says- there's a vast ocean of shit you don't know shit about, soldier, but here- you're gonna become the last woman standing to know every fine grain of said shit, an then some. Those words stuck with me every single day, an I never saw him again until almost a year later when he became my new Sergeant." I explained with pride, as everyone listened in intently. I brought my soft gaze to Abraham, the man I had know for a good portion of my life. "Taught me most of what I know. He was like a big brother to me out there."

"Till young Bella here outranked me." Abraham pursed his lips together in a smirk, causing a chuckle to escape me. "Became our youngest Lieutenant. I was prouder than a peacock the day she graduated."

"You didn't have the moustache back then though, what happened?" I joked.

"Hey, hold up- uh- Axel- Axel-" Abraham called over to our friend who was sat just behind us with Carol, Bob, Sasha, Tyreese, Tara and Zach. "This is trendy, right?"

Axel scrunched up his face, giving Abraham a good examining before responding. "Yours could use some work if I may say."

The statement set off a few giggles here and there, as we saw the shock and unamused expression left on our Sergeants face.

"Right-" Shane's voice plucked up, causing me to turn my head and watch him stroll over from the darkness. "I'm gonna take over from Merle on the East lookout."

"I'll come with you." I stated, resting my hand on Rick's thigh before giving it a squeeze and standing up.

"Yeah, I should take over from Glenn an Ezra." Rick expressed, as he wrapped another blanket around baby Judith.

"I've got it." Daryl stated, moving through us and towards the West side.

"I'll go with him." Carol spoke up, as she rose from beside Axel.

"Thank you, both of you." Rick praised.

As I walked through the perched members of my family, I stopped at Hershel's side to wrap my hand around his. He looked up to me with his usual soft gaze, and we held the look for quite some time. I knew he felt crushed after everything we experienced at the prison, and now he has to live wondering whether his youngest daughter is even alive. He was hurting, but he was trying his best to hide it for the sake of everyone else. A truly kind hearted, and selfless man.