The Start of Something Else Entirely

Blades tore through walkers in an x motion, slaying them to the ground in pairs at a time

Blades tore through walkers in an x motion, slaying them to the ground in pairs at a time. Heavy breaths weighing down her chest as she fought through the herd.

"Bella!" Shane yelled in a desperate attempt to get to her side, but he could not.

She powered through the dead as though she was invincible, unafraid, unstoppable, piercing the glistening metal with dripping dark crimson through every walker she came into contact with. With tired limbs and aching muscles, she made it in front of the flames and blackened smoke, her eyes alight with burning grief. She just needed to see, and so she saw. The blades fell from her hands and soon enough she collapsed to her knees, tears pouring silently till the rims of her eyes burnt.

"Rick..."

A pain like no other consuming her, swallowing her whole. She felt as though she was dying from the inside out, as though a poison was rushing through her veins. Clutching her chest, she leant over her body as her hand buried into the thick build up of ash and soot.

"ARGH!"

She screamed into the crackling air, rage taking over, a fury like nothing she had felt before. She rose with a darkened power forcing through her, retracting the sword from her back holster and swinging it through the herd that had caught up with her. For all she could see was red, all she could think about was slaughtering them, every last one of them. For it was the dead who had cost her the love of her life, her soulmate.

As she fought through the herd, along with everyone who had come together in the hopes of seeing this through to the end and protecting the infamous Rick Grimes, she used the dying feeling within her to fuel her fury. As she realised that this was not just the ending for her person, but it was the beginning to an end of who she was.

Nothing could ever be the same.

One Week Later

She stood silently in the room, a place that now haunted her as it held his scent, for every part of him that physically remained was now in one sole place. She had been standing in the centre of their bedroom for a little over thirty minutes, because the truth of it was that she had frozen almost immediately upon entering.

"I can't..." The outburst left her in a sudden build up of panic. Too soon.

She began to step backwards, uncaring as to what was behind her before she turned to head back the way she came. The clumsy movement caused her to knock over the small table by the window, which in turn left the books and papers to fall to the floor. Bella knelt quickly to retrieve everything, deep down hoping to put it all back exactly as it was. But amongst the panic and old textbooks, there was what looked to be the beginning of a letter...

Dear Bella,

She had a sharp intake of breath before she once again became silent. She gently tugged the piece of paper out from the mix on the floor and held the sheet of paper delicately with both hands. Like a titanic tussle in her mind, she began to brace herself for what she knew she had to read.