Chapter 5: Acacia

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

        Lilith sighed and ran her hands through her hair. She sat in front of the fireplace marking a pile of essays; when she took over Mary's body she really hadn't thought about the responsibilities that came along with the woman's cadaver. She peered over at her empty wine glass and sighed again. It looked as though she'd be up all night, and she would need more wine to get through the rest of the abysmal essays. As she raised from her seat Mary heard a soft knock on the door.

"Who on earth..." she whispered to herself. Mary then looked down at her rather revealing decision of night dress and huffed; she tried her best to overlap the 2 sides of her silk robe to cover her cleavage, but failed miserably. Agitated she said screw it and headed for the door.

As she swung it open her mouth fell slightly agape. Zelda Spellman was the very last person in all the cosmos that she'd expect to see on her door step; and holding 2 bottles of wine.

"Impeccable timing, I am due for a refill" Mary joked, looking down in gesture to the wine bottles.

"I believe we started off on the wrong foot" Zelda admitted, a small smirk tracing her lips.

Mary tilted her head and arched her eyebrow, surveying the woman before her. Even at this time of night her appearance was immaculate; her fiery hair perfectly rolled, makeup applied evenly, and the mulberry coloured dress she had on accentuated her soft curves. Lilith had some competition for sure.

"Well come in, I don't want you catching a cold" Mary said nicely as she moved out of the way, permitting Zelda to enter. Zelda nodded her head and strolled past Mary, her unique scent of sandalwood and acacia filling Mary's senses. She closed her eyes and basked in the enticing scent for as long as she could, before closing the door to join her unexpected visitor.

"I hope you like red-Its the finest from my collection" Zelda purred handing Mary both bottles.

"Beats my grocery store wine" She said with a small chuckle, reaching to grab both bottles. Zelda chuffed and sat herself on the chaise lounge closest to the warm fire, in an attempt to warm herself. The night had grown rather nippy on her walk over to Mary's, her decision against bringing a coat certainly weighed heavy on her now.

Mary had disappeared into another room, most likely the kitchen; which gave Zelda time to survey the quaint cottage.  She had always preferred grand houses with unique antique furnishings, but Zelda felt a strange comfort within the coziness of Mary's country cottage.

It wasn't long before Mary rejoined Zelda with 2 glasses of wine in hand.  She extended one to Zelda, which she accepted gratefully, and took a seat in-front of her in a plush arm chair. A silence had fallen over the room as both woman fought to find the proper words to say; the odd slurp of wine filling the void certainly made the awkwardness more present.

"I-

"So-

Both women started at the same time, the timing making both of them chuckle nervously.  Mary lowered her head and extended her hand, in gesture to letting Zelda speak first.

"I wanted to apologize for the way I approached you the other day. It was unnecessarily unpleasant, and I hope we can start again"
Zelda preached confidently.

Mary stared at the woman in front of her for a few moments and began to nod her head.  She was unsure of why the timid witch had undergone such a change of heart; it seemed most out of character for Zelda. However, having Sabrina's aunt on her side could possibly benefit her plan.  Lilith knew Zelda wanted Sabrina's name in that book almost as much as Lucifer himself.

"I believe you are right.  Sabrina is one of my brightest pupils, which is why I have invested so much interest and time into her personally.  It is only understandable why this interest may be perceived as dangerous."

Zelda took a sip from her glass, her eyes lingering on the brunettes a little too long.  It appeared her true intentions had gone unnoticed, and gaining more information may be easier than she originally thought.

"No had feelings then" Zelda played, a smirk tracing her lips.

Mary chuckled and looked down at her hands.  "No hard feelings Mrs. Spellman" Mary said, making Zelda groan in response.

"Please, call me Zelda.  There is no need for formalities" She said with a small smile. Mary nodded her head and waved her hand in apology.

"Sorry, Zelda" She said with a smile, the woman's name tasting sweet in her mouth. 

Zelda raised her eyebrows and smirked at Mary, if she wanted to go anywhere Zelda would have to up the ante.

"So, tell me about yourself.  Interests? dislikes?" Zelda hummed, taking a sip of her wine.

Mary paused for a moment unable to answer Zelda's question right away.  Lilith had never actually been asked such a thing before, she very rarely got acknowledged let alone asked questions about herself.  Zelda furrowed her brow as she noticed the distain on the woman's face; it was as if she was fighting an internal battle.

"You needn't answer" Zelda said softly, her hard gaze lifting as she realized how hurt the woman before her was.

Mary shook her head noticing she had just completely let a barrier down in front of Zelda; she could have very well just blown her cover.  Lilith mentally slapped herself and forced a smile onto her face as she looked back up at Zelda, who stared back at her in a strangely concerned way. 

"I love history and gardening.  If it was daytime I'd take you into the garden and show you some of my prized roses!" Mary croaked, attempting to redeem her momentary lapse in character.

"Im sure the garden is beautiful at this time of night..." Zelda admitted, taking another sip of wine.

Mary arched her eyebrow and smiled, remembering she had midnight blossoms in the garden. A rare and beautiful blossom, and perhaps the nature would provide some less stiff atmosphere for the two women. Growing fond of the idea of being outside, Mary decided to try her luck.

"would you like to go for a walk in the garden?" Mary asked gently.

Zelda tipped back the last of her wine and smirked at Mary.

"That would be lovely."

——

The acacia flower is symbolic of secret relationships and friendship...hint hint.

xo