Chapter 7: Amacitia

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

   "Mary-are you a witch?"

  Mary sat in silence stunned by Zelda's forthcomingness. Yes, she wanted to let Zelda in on some of her secrets, but to be asked bluntly about her magic really caught her off guard.  Mary gulped harshly refusing to turn her head to look at the ginger.  Does she spill everything, or tell a little white lie to fully protect her cover?

"I-um...In some sense of the word, yes" Mary admitted lowly. Zelda nodded her head her stare blazing into the side of Mary's face, wishing the woman would look her in the eyes.

Mary had made her choice, it was all or nothing; she desperately needed Zelda on her side.  She inhaled deeply and slowly turned her head to meet the witches powerful gaze.  Lilith is undoubtedly stronger than Zelda, but the woman seemed to hold a strange power over her; making it harder to face her. Zelda furrowed her brow at the woman's strange answer, but decided to stay silent; waiting for Mary to continue.

"Zelda I must be honest with you, because even though we have just met I believe I could use your help" Mary continued, still too shy to maintain eye contact with Zelda.

"My help?" Zelda nearly whispered, watching as Mary slowly nodded her head in response. Zelda observed how visibly nervous Mary had become, which made her subconsciously brace herself for whatever was to come.

"I-I..." A sweat was beginning to break on Mary's brow.

"I am not actually Mary Wardwell" She finally spit out. "I am Lilith-and I was sent here by Lucifer himself to guide Sabrina down the path of night." Zelda stared at Mary wide eyed.

"My mission was to pose as someone who could get close to Sabrina and a have major influence on her decisions" Mary continued, her admittance seeming to seep out
like water through a broken damn. Mary finally looked over to Zelda, her eyes swimming with helplessness.

"You have great influence on Sabrina, and I believe that if we work together we could get her to comply." Zelda had remained silent during her confession, and Mary wished she would just say something.

"If she doesn't sign the book....he'll kill me" Mary whispered hoarsely, wetness beginning to accumulate in the corner of her eyes.

Zelda stared at the woman in both shock and empathy; she had certainly weeded out her master plan, but was now conflicted on how to move forward with the information. Lilith...the mother of demons herself sat in front of Zelda, asking for her help. She couldn't move, let alone find the right words to speak.  Of course Zelda wanted Sabrina to sign the book, and redeem herself of the shame she brought to the family. She had reached her wits end trying to convert Sabrina, so perhaps a teammate with the same motives would indeed help.

"Please Zelda, say something" Mary nearly begged.

"I-um-do I call you Mary or Lilith?" Zelda asked, still visibly shocked.

"For my covers sake, please, continue to call me Mary" She said with a small chuckle, attempting to slickly wipe away the tears from her eyes. Zelda looked down at Mary's trembling hands and reached over, clasping her hand within hers. She leaned in and looked Mary in the eyes.

"I will help you, but fair warning. Sabrina is much like me, and a stubborner woman never drew breath" Zelda joked, reassuringly squeezing Mary's hand.

Mary grinned, internally more happy than she was externally showing. Yes she achieved winning Zelda over, but it seemed as though she had also gained an acquaintance; she had been alone for so long it was nice to have someone with whom she could soon confide in. It felt nice to get the big secret off her chest, and share it with someone who could help. Lilith had originally planned to trick Zelda into helping her for her own benefit, but the woman was too sincere to trick her. They will be a good team and Lilith didn't want to taint their forming partnership in any way.

"I have one condition" Zelda said, making Mary slightly nervous again.

"If Sabrina, satan willing, doesn't comply. I will not support your plan if it will bring any harm to her" Zelda announced. 

Mary nodded her head and stayed silent.  She couldn't 100% say that Sabrina would remain unharmed, but she couldn't say anything to Zelda.  Mary smiled and snapped her fingers, summoning the bottles of wine and glasses.

"I think this calls for a toast" She said proudly. Zelda pulled her hand away from Mary's and accepted the glass gratefully.

"To a new friendship!"

"To new friendship" Zelda countered, taking a large gulp of wine.