Chapter 22: Anger

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"AUNTIE ZEE!" Sabrina yelled, practically skipping down the stairs, as Zelda waltz through the front door. Zelda groaned as her niece smashed into her, engulfing her in a huge hug.   "You never told me you'd be leaving!" Sabrina admitted sort of sadly, and half muffled.  Zelda pulled away from the embrace to look her niece in the face.

"It was a spur of the moment decision, a much needed rest at that!" Zelda responded with a small smile.  Suddenly Ambrose and Hilda appeared from the kitchen, both, with big grins on their faces.

"Welcome back auntie" Ambrose said with a nod-to which Zelda bowed her head in response. The ginger then made eye contact with her sister, and grinned.

"I made your favourite for supper, an-and vanilla cake for dessert!" Hilda chirped, her cheeks flushed. When Zelda heard vanilla cake she perked up; she was happy to be home. However, she longed to be in Mary's arms again-and Zelda knew sleeping through the night alone would be trying. The witch had grown accustomed to falling asleep wrapped up in Mary's warm embrace; and basking in her late night affection. But, for now, Zelda wanted to enjoy the time with her family-so she stopped dwelling on Mary and decided to be present in the moment.

-//-
Later that night..

Zelda sat at her vanity brushing through her firey curls, watching as Hilda prepared her bed for her. Zelda had been careful with her choice of night dress for she was still covered in love bites, and Mary's nail marks on her shoulder. She didn't want to risk her sister seeing said marks, and begin questioning her.

Content with the way her hair was shaped, Zelda stood from the vanity stool and made her way over to her bed. "Thank you Hildy" she nearly whispered. Hilda smiled at her sister and nodded her head quickly. Before walking to her own bed, Hilda stopped and stared at Zelda for a moment; opening her mouth to speak. Zelda furrowed her brows at her sister and narrowed her gaze "What?" the ginger questioned.

"A-are you going t-to tell me where you really were?" Hilda spat out quickly, nervously stuttering over a few words. Zelda's face dropped and she bit her lip; how did Hilda know?

"I don't know what you're talking about" Zelda spit out, a bit of hostile venom laced between her words. Hilda sighed sadly and waddled over to her bed, not wanting to bother her sister any further. Zelda kept her eyes on Hilda like a hawk, wanting more out of the conversation. However, her sister didn't seem in the arguing mood, and Zelda knew it would go no further. A little frazzled, Zelda switched off her bed side lamp and got herself situated in a comfortable position.

"Goodnight" Zelda mumbled.

"Nighty!" Hilda chirped before turning off her lamp; leaving the women in complete darkness.
Zelda wrapped her arms around herself and exhaled deeply. Her bed was extremely cold and extremely empty with out Mary beside her-she felt lonely. Zelda wondered if Mary could sense how she was feeling, wondering if she could feel how sad she was..

"Zelds..." Hilda whispered, drawing Zelda out of her thoughts. 

"What Hilda?" Zelda snapped back. 

"You weren't with Faustus again...were you?" the blonde asked tenderly.  Zelda sighed, her sisters genuine concern did touch her, and she did appreciate her sisters worries.

"Hilda-I hate that man with every living fibre in my body.  I hope he rots..." Zelda answered venomously.  They couldn't see each other, but each woman felt the tension in the air ease. "I did go on a trip Hildy, I needed to get away for awhile-clear my head" Zelda lied.

"I just don't want you to get hurt again, is all" Hilda whispered.  Zelda felt a lump form in her throat, and her eyes glazed over. The ginger wanted to reply, but knew her vocal cords were too tight; if she spoke now Hilda would hear the strain in her voice, and it would be revealed that she was crying. Zelda swallowed harshly and waited a few moments for her throat to ease up,

"I'm okay Hilda...I won't ever put myself in that vulnerable position again" She finally said.

Silence fell over the room once again, and both women started to drift off to sleep. Zelda considered herself lucky to have such a caring sister, and hated how often she took Hilda for granted.  The ginger wanted to make an effort to treat her sister better than she did, and from this night forward she'd stick to her goal.

—//—

Mary tossed and turned in bed-she couldn't sleep, couldn't get comfortable, couldn't bare not having Zelda beside her.  The brunette appreciated giving the witch space and knew it was necessary, but the attributes that came along with her imprint made her impulses magnify.  She felt this absorbing need to be beside Zelda, or within earshot of her, every waking moment.  Mary knew she'd be safe with her family, but she couldn't help but worry.  Luckily she could feel how slow and calm Zelda's heart beat was, meaning she was most likely sleeping.

With a great huff, Mary threw the covers off and swung her legs over the side of the bed.  She decided sleep was beyond her, and Zelda's overwhelming scent still lingered in her bed; making her even more somber.  Mary walked out to the living room, and with a flick of her wrist the fire blazed to life; illuminating the room, only to reveal an unexpected visitor.
Mary stifled a scream as Lucifer's human form sat quietly in the arm chair beside the fire; his unexpected visit perturbed her.   He threw his head back and let out a dark chuckle. 

"Oh Lilith, always such a jumpy little thing" He purred, making Mary tense up.  "Come. Sit" he said, patting his lap. 

"What do you want?" Mary hissed, Lucifer's unwanted visit making her fume on the inside. The man laughed again, his eyes darkening with fury.

"It has come to my attention that you seek conflict, my dear Lilith. Now I wonder, what implored you to cap off my lead right hand Mazikeen, as well as three of my loyal subjects?" Lucifer ranted, refusing to break eye contact with Lilith; who stood still, like a stone statue.

"They had no business here, and I was hungry.  A hunger you know well about" Lilith answered, earning an evil smirk from Lucifer.

"And, the ginger, you aim so highly to hide from me"

Lilith nearly growled, him mentioning Zelda almost made her go over the edge. She had tried every trick in the book to cloak Zelda from him, but Lucifer knew everything.  There was no way Zelda would be safe with her alone, not as long as Lucifer was still alive.

"What ginger?" Mary played.

"Zelda Spellman"