Chapter 10: Abampere

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"stay-please"

Mary furrowed her brow, the woman's foreign request catching her rather off guard. Zelda's eyes were still swimming with fear and loneliness, feelings Lilith knew all too well. The last thing she wanted was for her friend to be feeling hurt and scared alone. What Zelda just went through was traumatic, but the state of Mary's clothes were just as scary; she was covered in Zelda's blood and part of her night gown had been burnt away in the process of her apperation. Before succumbing to rest of any kind, she would need to clean herself up.

"I just need to get cleaned up. I will be back" Mary replied softly, before slipping out of the room.

The very last thing Zelda wanted in that moment, was to be alone; that, and being seen in such a state by her family. Zelda was ever so grateful that Mary had brought her to the cottage as opposed to her own home; her family would have seen the terrifying state she was in. She just couldn't fathom that she had been murdered, and could still feel the crushing pain of the blade that impaled her, how cold it got when she lost consciousness, the look of pure evil as the demoness mercilessly stabbed her, and then, how Mary saved her.  Zelda had been surrounded by freezing darkness, but the thing that kept her alive was the feeling of Mary's warmth.  Zelda owed Mary a great dept, for without her help she most likely would have died in the forest.

Zelda fought hard to keep her heavy eyelids open, wanting to wait for Mary to return. She was struggling profusely, as sleep seemed to consume every part of her weakened mind and body. She rolled over in an attempt to stay awake, her eyes landing on Mary-who was standing in the door way. She looked sad and defeated, like she had done something wrong; Zelda wished she could comfort her, but she just didn't have enough strength.

Zelda extended her hand outward, signalling for Mary to come to her. Mary understood the witches que and slowly sauntered over to the bed. Zelda tapped the empty side of the bed beside her, wanting to feel the warmth of Mary.  With a slight hesitation the brunette crawled onto the bed cautiously, not wanting to disturb Zelda. Laying her head down on the pillow, Mary sighed, and silence fell over the two women. She couldn't bring herself to look over at Zelda, for if she did she would see all the pain she had caused her.  It wasn't right.

Zelda sensed Mary's unease and shifted closer to her, gripping onto her arm. She stared at the side of Mary's face, wanting her badly to look over at her.
"Its not your fault" Zelda whispered, nearly inaudible. 

Mary inhaled deeply and finally dropped her head to the left, making immediate eye contact with Zelda. Her red mane full of curls fell around her round face encasing it perfectly; her skin was still slightly illuminated by the remaining magic left over from the spell.  She looked ethereal, like an angel who had just fallen, and Mary found herself gaping at the woman before her.

The two women practically just met but, Mary felt this overwhelming pull towards Zelda; a bond she couldn't quite understand. In some universal way, she felt protective of and responsible for Zelda.  If she hadn't walked away from the mirror, she would have seen Mazikeen and killed her, before she even had the chance to near Zelda. It was her fault this happened, and she'd die before letting anything like it happen again.

Mary's eyes dropped down to Zelda's chest, where the buttons of her dress had been ripped open.  A dark mulberry coloured scar stained her milky skin, leaving behind a reminder of the fatal incident forever.  Mary shakily extended her fingers towards the parted fabric, moving the folds farther apart to see the full scar; as her cool fingers lightly made contact with Zelda's hot flesh, she felt a spark run up her arm. Her eyes quickly darted back up into Zelda's, to see if she felt it too. Although her fatigue was becoming overbearing, the look of surprise traced her facial features.

"I have so much to say.." Mary whispered, as she watched Zelda's heavy eyes finally close.

The ginger witch inhaled deeply and shifted closer to Mary, resting her head on her shoulder. Mary tucked some curls that had fallen into Zelda's face behind her ear, watching intently as the woman fell deeper into unconsciousness. It would be a couple days before Zelda would return to full strength, and Mary had every intention of seeing that period of healing through.

"I will wait..." Mary whispered, wrapping her arm protectively around Zelda.