Chapter 6: Adamo

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

     Zelda let out a small shiver as Mary opened the door, dreading the feeling of the cool night air hitting her skin again.  Mary raised her eyebrows as she witnessed the witches discomfort, and grabbed a small jacket from the wooden coat rack on the wall. Mary slid behind Zelda and draped the leather coat over the witch's shoulders, earning a shy smile in response.

"Thank you" Zelda said, appreciative of the observance Mary made. Mary nodded and smiled at Zelda, ushering her out the front door.

"Couldn't have you cold before seeing the special blooms" Mary joked, in attempt to lighten the mood.   Zelda smirked and lowered her gaze to the ground. It was if she had totally forgotten the initial goal of her visit, Mary made her feel at ease; as if the pair had known each other for years. Zelda never truly had a friend relatively close to her "mortal" age, and Mary seemed to be close in range.

No no no Zelda, this is not why you came. Pull yourself together.

It was true, Zelda needed to uncover Mary's guise before making any other moves. If she was a threat to her family, Zelda would want nothing to do with her. However, for the time being, Zelda saw no harm in enjoying herself for the evening. When Zelda first met Mary, the woman's dryish sense of humour agitated her; but now, it seemed to lighten the mood and actually resulted in a few unexpected chuckles from Zelda.

As the two women strolled through the large grounds, Zelda couldn't help but be amazed; Mary had quite the green thumb. Despite the lack of daylight, the moon was doing a marvellous job at lighting the way for their late night stroll. Zelda reached out to brush her fingertips upon the luscious petals of a rose, wishing she could clip some for her bouquets at home.

"Beautiful aren't they" Mary said, smiling as she watched Zelda delicately touch the rose. Zelda twisted her neck to look at Mary and grinned, slowly nodding her head as she glanced around the vast garden.

"I am quite surprised. I always believed my sister to be the worlds best grower, but it seems she has some deem-able competition" Zelda beamed, resulting in a smile from Mary. 

Lilith concurred, however, Mary was absolutely terrible at gardening; she had 2 shrub beds that had been infested with disease and moss.  Lilith had completely transformed the pathetic disease infected beds into an enchanted garden, that was now blooming with hundreds of plants.  She loved being surrounded by beautiful greenery and believed her work was indeed something to be proud of; Zelda's praise definitely reassured Lilith's confidence in her plantsmanship.

Lilith stared at the ginger woman, her porcelain skin seeming to glow under the moonlight. Zelda Spellman radiated strength and is without a doubt, a very strong witch but, Lilith saw something else behind the witches eyes.  She was captivated by the auburn fox, almost allured by her presence.  Despite her intentions to complete Lucifers plan, Zelda may very well steer her off course.

Lilith always admired strong women and believed that together, women would be able to conquer the cruelest men. However, her personal desires need be set aside; she had a mission to complete, and she daren't stray too far from the beaten path. Lucifers wrath was too great, and she was already walking a thin line with her first failure of trying to achieve Sabrina's signature in the book.  She desperately needed more influence and knew that together, Zelda and herself could get Sabrina to sign; willingly or not. Lilith would have to come clean to Zelda, or partially clean for that matter, to ensure that Zelda would be on her side.  It would mean revealing more than she wished, but Lilith would do what was necessary.

"Come, the moonflowers are this way" Mary said, leading Zelda further into the dense greenery.

As the pair stumbled through the lush gardens they found themselves content, content in the comfortable silence of the night. Neither knew what to say, despite the millions of thoughts that raced through their minds. Mary was grateful when the bright white blooms caught her eye, so she'd be able to break the silence and possibly propose the idea of working together to Zelda.  As the pair neared the rare blooms Mary left Zelda's side to stand beside the flowers, showcasing their glory.

"Ipomoea alba, or as I like to call them, moonflowers.  One of the rarest blooms, and hardest to keep alive as well-especially in this climate" Mary preached proudly, as she gently raised the flower with the palm of her hand.

Zelda took a step closer to Mary, slowly bending over to align the tip of her nose with the centre of the flower.  Her eyelids fluttered closed as she inhaled deeply,  the blended scents of secret spices and anise filling her senses. A faint groan of satisfaction left her lips as she found the scent very enticing, making Mary smile widely.

"Absolutely stunning, in every sense of the word" Zelda declared, still basking in the sweet scent of the rare bloom. 

Luckily for her, the moonlight hid her true complexion or else Mary would have been totally embarrassed; Zelda's compliments had turned her face a bright shade of crimson.

Without a second thought Mary plucked a flower safely from its vine, holding it softly in her cupped hand. She looked up at Zelda and took a small step towards the woman, lifting the bloom to fit perfectly behind her ear.  The flower rested atop Zelda's smooth curls, and accentuated her fair skin.

"A rare flos ad flos quod quidem proportione rarius" Mary whispered, as her fingers lingered laced within Zelda's tresses.

Zelda was lost in the moment as she stared into Mary's eyes, it was if everything else crumbled away; her worry, strength, weakness, insecurities, duty, honour....It was just the two of them basking in the moonlight, as the soft summer winds gently carried the sweet scents of Mary's garden through the air. It seemed as though magic encircled them, but the moment was cut short.

"Im sorry..." Mary blurted, quickly snapping her hand away from Zelda. 

Zelda gently shook her head and reached her fingertips up to graze the bloom that rested on her ear.
A voice deep inside of her cried out for the serenity of the moment she just shared with Mary,
longing for it to be experienced again; but Zelda wouldn't allow that.  She had let it go too far,
too far with no answers or any other useful but of information at all. She needed to take action or she would never get anywhere with Mary.

"Is there somewhere we would sit?" Zelda asked gently, still slightly entranced.

Mary nervously nodded her head and pointed to a canopy swing across the garden. Zelda gave an awkward smile as she spun around and headed to the swing, awaiting Mary to join her.
As she sat down on the plush cushion, Zelda let out a small sigh and once again reached for the flower in her hair.  The gesture Mary had made was sweet, but it confused Zelda greatly. 

Mary soon planted herself next to Zelda and pulled a small flask out of the pocket of her coat.  Zelda looked over to the woman and raised her eyebrows in surprise.  Mary chuckled and tipped the small aluminium container in Zelda direction.

"Whiskey?" She offered with a small grin etched onto her lips.  Zelda smiled and politely declined; she never could bring herself to enjoy whiskey.

"Mary-" Zelda started. "I must ask you something..."

Mary tipped the remaining liquid courage into her mouth and slid the empty flask back into her coat pocket.  Satan only knows what Zelda was about to ask, and she'd need all the help she could get. 

"Mary-are you a witch?" Zelda asked looking Mary dead in the eyes.

—//—

Sooo, I haven't studied latin for about 2 years, so I hope its okay hah!

Is anyone liking this so far? I much prefer slow burning....stories.

Please let me know what you think💕