Chapter 28: Adjudge

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Tuesday

After a long night of passion, Mary and Zelda had successfully cleaned up Sabrina's mess. Blackwood's body had been disposed of without a trace, and they had composed a fake letter stating Blackwood fled, seeking a greater position in Hong Kong. 

Zelda had been appointed High Priestess of the Academy that morning, meaning her and Mary got split up. Zelda had multiple meetings to attend, legal documents to review and sign, and lastly, a welcoming assembly to host that afternoon. Zelda's day was so busy, she barely had any time to think about missing her lover. However, they had planned to meet for dinner later that night because Mary had something to "discuss"

Despite her perpetual love for Mary, the brunette could be awfully vague at times.  She did seem rather serious about it before they had parted, but Zelda didn't want to worry herself. Besides, it was her teenage niece the ginger had too worry about.  Sabrina had approached her rather disheveled and dotty. Last nights events were traumatizing for her, and Zelda knew she'd have to keep a close eye on Sabrina. Nobody else knew about Blackwoods death, so the ginger made her niece swear to secrecy and sent her home to her aunt to be pampered. Hilda believed Sabrina had a bad row with a friend from school, and was to keep a close eye on her niece.

—//—

Mary sat in front of the fire sipping a freshly brewed coffee.  She hadn't seen Zelda since early morning, and she was missing her lover.  Despite the short time apart, the brunette craved her warmth, tender touch, sweet scent, and voice.  Mary had planned to tell Zelda about Lucifer over dinner, but was a little anxious.  The pair had gotten off easy with Blackwood, but Lucifer would be trickier to cap off.

Mary sighed and ran her fingers through her hair.  She longed for the days where Zelda and her could just love each-other freely, without worry of being killed. Mary hated that she put Zelda in danger, but their love was too strong to just leave everything they had behind.  The brunette would protect her lover with her life, if thats what it took.

Just as the brunette was about to rise from the couch she felt her heart rate quicken, meaning Zelda was near.  Mary's senses perked up and she could her Zelda's heart beat, she had no idea Zelda's day would conclude so quickly. The door creaked open slowly and in poked the gingers head. Her eyes scanned the room until landing upon Mary's, a smile instantly illuminating the witches features.

"I thought you'd be asleep..." Zelda spoke softly, fully entering the cottage. Mary stood from the couch and walked to embrace her lover. Mary sighed as she buried her face in Zelda's luscious mane, its floral scent calming her. Zelda smiled to herself and wrapped her arms around Mary, enjoying the affection.

"I don't smell anything cooking..." Zelda admitted jokingly.

Mary pulled away to look Zelda in the eyes, "I didn't think you'd be back this early!" Mary exclaimed, in attempt to save herself. Zelda chuckled and leaned forward, pressing a kiss too the brunette's cheek.

"Honey, its nearly 6:30!" Zelda said nodding in gesture towards the grandfather clock, situated in the corner of the room. Mary looked over her shoulder, her eyes widening as she noticed the time. She must have been lost in her thoughts, for when she sat down with her coffee it had just turned four.

"Sorry baby...I-" Mary started, her thoughts seeming to drift. Zelda furrowed her brow, starting to grow concerned with the way Mary was acting.

"Mary, come, lets sit" Zelda whispered, giving her lover's upper arms a soft squeeze before leading them both to the chaise lounge in front of the fire.

Mary's mind had been on Lucifer and his gloomy proposition all day, and she really didn't want to dump it on Zelda. However, if they were going to kill him they would need the strength of at least 20 magical beings. In this case, it was kill or be killed. Zelda needed to know, but Mary just couldn't bring herself to relay the terrible news.

Zelda placed her hand on Mary's thigh and squeezed it gently, "What's wrong?" she asked sincerely. Mary sighed and looked over to Zelda with dread filled eyes. The ginger raised her eyebrows in anticipation and used her free hand to brush a stand of Mary's hair behind her ear.

"A couple of nights ago, Lucifer paid me a visit" Mary started, averting her gaze from Zelda's. "Despite my efforts to conceal our relations from him, he has uncovered our bond," Mary inhaled sharply, dreading having to speak the next detail.
"If he isn't dead by the end of this week he'll kill you Zelds" the brunette's voice cracked.

Zelda withdrew her hand from Mary's thigh, her mouth dropping open. Death had never phased the fearless witch, aside from now.

"I won't let him do that, I won't, it can't happen, it won't happen, I promise you-" Mary started rambling, her eyes glazing over. Zelda shook herself out of her trance and gripped onto Mary's thigh one more time, grounding the unraveling woman beside her.

Mary's red and glossy eyes stared into Zelda's, "If you die-I have nothing..." she whispered, her voice crackly.  Zelda swallowed harshly as she leaned back into the plush cushions.

"What should we do..." The ginger asked quietly, her eyes fixated on the raging fire.

"Kill Him"

—//—

There is a lot of killing recently...I apologize, I just have to get all of these menaces out of the wayyyy!

Anyway, I hope you are all enjoying the fic so far! Please leave me feedback or suggestions in the comments!!

If you want too see a certain scenario just tell me, I'll happily attempt to write it in somewhere😉

Kitty💕