Chapter 37: Anthophilous

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"Zelds, I'm fine!" Mary protested as she rose from the bed once again.  Zelda frowned and shook her head, feeling too exhausted to argue. 

Mary sighed as she looked at the defeated ginger, knowing that she was just worried about her well being.  Mary pressed a kiss to the top of Zelda's forehead, and placed her hands on both her shoulders, "I know you worry, but Zelds, I heal quicker than the average witch" Mary whispered sincerely.  Zelda sighed and wrapped her own hands around the hands Mary had placed on her shoulders.

"I know, I just-" Mary silenced Zelda's rambling by crashing her lips against the ginger's. The brunette used her free hands too reach around and grip Zelda's buttocks, pulling the ginger roughly into her chest. Zelda couldn't help but smile into the kiss, causing Mary to break contact. The ginger blushed and threw her head back, letting a low chuckle escape her lips.

"what's so funny?" Mary asked, leaving Zelda's embrace to go lay down on their bed once again. Zelda leaned up against the wall and stared at Mary, her hazel eyes swimming with love.

"Not nearly an hour ago you almost died, yet all you can think of is sex!" Zelda joked, causing Mary too huff and roll her eyes playfully.

"Can you blame me? you're all I think of all the time Zelds....can't get you off my mind" Mary whispered the last part rather sadly, which made Zelda furrow her brow. The ginger unzipped the side zipper of her dress and let the smooth satin fabric slide down her body, pooling at her feet. Stepping out of it, she was left in her little black lace slip which she usually slept in. She made her way too the bed where Mary laid, and crawled in beside her.

"what's wrong?" the ginger whispered before trailing soft kisses along Mary's jawline, extending up too her temple.

Mary sighed and wrapped her arm around Zelda, pulling the porcelain beauty closer into her embrace, "you know I'd do anything for you, don't you?" Mary said, letting her head drop to the left-looking Zelda dead in the eyes. Zelda grinned and nodded her head, wondering what in the world Mary was thinking.

"I think I'll have too start giving you some space, so that I can learn to tame these raging imprint impulses."

Zelda's heart dropped, for she never believed she would hear Mary say such a thing. Zelda knew the imprint made Mary's beastly instincts magnify, but she never imagined the brunette requesting to stay away from one another. The request made Zelda quite upset and her hurt must have made itself visible on her face, because Mary quickly changed her approach.

"Zelda, Zelds, that's not what I meant" the brunette stumbled, entangling her fingers between Zelda's. The ginger looked away from Mary, in attempt too hide the tears welling in her eyes.

"Please look at me" Mary whispered, sitting up in the bed.

Zelda slowly turned her neck too face Mary, but she kept her teary eyes focused on their enlaced fingers. Mary moved the hair away from Zelda's neck and leaned in, pressing her lips against the supple flesh. Zelda closed her eyes and let her head drop back against the headboard, allowing Mary more room.

"why do you want to stay away from me?" Zelda's voice was low and crackly, the hurt she was feeling making itself obvious.

Mary frowned as she mentally kicked herself, wanting too make things right she gently gripped Zelda's chin and urged the ginger to look over at her. Their eyes finally met and Mary nearly started too cry, the pain she caused Zelda with such a stupid comment was visible in the witches eyes.

"I will never want too stay away from you Zelds, never ever. All I meant was, that for your safety, I think it would be best if we have a few days apart every week-"

"every week-a few days?" Zelda whispered, her hurt now turning into anger.

"I mean-yes, I believe it bes-"

"I ALMOST LOST YOU, AND NOW YOU WANT TOO STOP SEEING ME!" Zelda erupted, making Mary flinch.

The ginger hopped off the bed and rushed toward her dress, she pulled the fabric back up over her body and glared darkly over at Mary, "perhaps, for my safety, you should take yourself and YOUR ASS BACKWARDS KNOWLEDGE BACK DOWN TOO HELL! That'll keep us well apart!" The ginger spit.

"Zelds-

"No, don't Zelds me. I can't even stand to look at you right now!" Zelda said before swiftly walking out of Mary's bedroom, headed for the front door. As she reached for the handle a firm grip latched onto her upper arm and pulled her back a pace.

"Don't go, please" Mary pleaded. Zelda ripped her arm away from Mary and kept her back to the brunette for a few moments, trying too make up her mind on how too react.

Mary stepped closer too Zelda and snaked her arms around the witches waist, her hands gripping onto her hips. The brunette took another step forward, so that her chest was now pushed up against the ginger's back, and her chin rested on Zelda's right shoulder.

"Please don't leave me-forget what I said...it was foolish, forgive me, please" Mary pleaded.

Zelda turned her head to the right, her forehead resting against the side of Mary's face. The brunette clasped her hands together, enclosing Zelda in a hug from behind, "I love you, god how I love you.." Mary whispered as she inhaled Zelda's sweet earthy scent.

"why would you say such a thing then?" Zelda finally spoke.  Mary sighed and let go of the ginger.

"I don't know-I-I hate that the only reason you are in danger is because of me. An-and what if...one day...I accidentally lash out at you like I did my son, today," Mary threw herself down onto the armchair.  Zelda knew Mary was about too spill her true feelings, so she slowly made her way toward the seating in front of the fire place.

"I put you in danger, and that kills me, but I can't be away from you for long because then that starts to kill me,"
Mary inhaled deeply before continuing.

"I don't ever want you too feel smothered, and I never want you to get hurt.  When you went missing today, I could see nothing but red, lord have mercy if anyone hurt my Zelds..."

Zelda was sitting across from Mary listening, but she could tell the brunette was just getting things off her chest. It was as if her conscience had completely taken over, because Mary just stared into the fire as she spoke.  She was a million miles away.

"The only reason I even mentioned staying apart for a few days apart, was so that you could have some freedom Zelds" Mary said, finally snapping out of her daze too look up at Zelda. 

The ginger sighed and looked at Mary with sympathetic eyes, "Mary-the very last thing I want, is to be away from you.  When I thought you were dying in my arms, it felt as though the world was crashing in around me" Zelda paused, looking down at her fidgety hands.

"I had accepted the fact that I would spend the rest of my days a spinster, who cared for her family.  You changed that for me Mary, and satan have mercy if you think I will ever let something like what we have here go."

The brunette smiled at Zelda and rose from her chair, she slowly walked towards the ginger and extended out her hand, "I'm sorry if I upset you. We have to stick together, you and I against the world. Right?"

Zelda smiled and gripped onto Mary's hand before rising to her feet, "right"