Chapter 21

"I'm very proud of you." I locked my fingers with Cody's while walking out of the building. "I didn't do anything." He shrugged. "You did, you told them how you felt and you-" "You explained what's going on, I just sat there and agreed." "No, babe, you did more than you think." "I just feel awful right now." Cody sighed and unlocked the car.

"Why?" I looked over at him once we were both in the car. Cody just shrugged his shoulders and started driving. The car fell silent while I tried to think of something to say to comfort him. "Maybe it's because you've just sat there and spoken about-" "I hardly spoke." "Cody, let me talk." "I don't want to talk about it." "Stop shutting me out."

"You don't know what's going on in my head." "Do you?" "No. And I fucking hate that so just stop talking about it!" He snapped. I shut up and looked out the window. For the rest of the way back to Cody's apartment the car was silent. It was awkward but at the same time it wasn't. It was comfortbale but uncomfortable at once.

On the way up to the apartment, we still didn't say anything to each other and then once we were in the apartment it stayed the same. Cody went into the bedroom and slammed the door behind him. I decided to leave him alone and let him cool off for a while so I sat down on the window seat.

Silence filled the place. I hated that. But then I heard noises coming from the bedroom. He was hitting something but I didn't know what. Carefully, I got up and walked to the door before lightly knocking and slowly walking into the room. He was sat on the floor with his back against the bed, his knees pulled up to his chest and his head in his hands.

There was a dent in the wall and he'd managed to break his desk chair. I sighed loudly and sat on the bed. "I thought this was over." Cody mumbled after a while. "Baby, it take-" "Don't baby me! I'm not some kind of delicate thing. I'm dangerous and I'm- I'm just not good enough for you." "Cody.." "I don't know what to do anymore." He whispered and leant his head backwards so it was leaning on the bed.

His eyes were glassy and I could tell he was doing everything he could to not burst into tears. "Come with me." I got up and held my hand out for him. Cody reluctantly took my hand, letting me pull him to his feet. "Sit down." I let go of him once we were stood by the window. He sat down in his space while staring out the window.

I went into the kitchen and grabbed two wine glasses and a two bottles as well as some chilli flavor chips. "Do you want me to order in?" "Mhm." He nodded as I handed him a glass and then he watched me fill it up. "What do you fancy?" "I don't care." "You want pizza?" "I don't care." He repeated and then drank the whole glass I'd just poured for him.

I sighed before pouring him another glass. "Don't drink that one so fast." I kissed his head and then sat down myself. Cody opened the bag of chips while I rang up the pizza place. Once I'd hung up, he watched me for a while before taking a breath as though to say something.

"What were you going to say in the car?" "Huh?" "Before I snapped at you, what were you going to say?" "I think that you're only feeling as bad as you're feeling now because you've just sat in that room and spoken about, or listened to people speaking about, the situation which is how you're feeling inside." "I don't like this." "You won't like it but remember how happy you were when you'd gotten over it last time?"

"But that's my point! I got over it! Everything stopped! But now, everything's come running back to me and I don't want to do anything. I just want to go to bed and not wake up." "I'm sorry, baby." "Come here," Cody pulled my leg so I slid towards him. "Yes?" I smiled with my face inches away from his. "You're very pretty." His mouth bumped into mine as he spoke.

"You're very pretty too." I said as he started to kiss me. "Stop that, our food will be here in a few minutes." "Well then we've got a few minutes." Cody continued to pull on my shirt. "No, you can wait." "But I'm sad." He pouted. "I'll make you feel better later." I kissed his lips once more before getting up. "Where are you going?" "I need the bathroom."