Chapter 29

"Izzy.. I'm not sure if it's good news or bad news but.. you're not pregnant." Dr Jacobs revealed. I felt a wave of emotion drown me as I began to cry. "Oh gosh, thank you. Thank you so much. I'm sorry. Thank you." I stood up from my chair.

There was a knock on the door and then Angie came into the room. I instantly wrapped my arms around her as I sobbed into her. "It's okay, sweetie. Everything's okay." Angie kissed my temple. "There's no baby. I'm not pregnant." I sobbed. "He'll be disappointed. He said he loved-" "Izzy, it's okay. Cody will understand." Angie reminded.

After a while of talking things through, we went back into the waiting room where I fell into Cody's arms. "What did she say, baby?" He questioned while holding me tightly. All I could do was shake my head in response.

"I'm sorry, Cody." Angie spoke soothingly. "It's not your fault. It's not yours either, Isobella. I love you, okay? It's okay, baby. It's okay." He whispered while kissing my face, kissing my tears away. "I'm sorry." I looked up at him. "No, baby. Don't be sorry." He kissed my forehead.

"Two pizzas, cookie dough, ice cream and chocolate brownies." Cody annouced as he came through the apartment door. I didn't turn away from staring out the window. "Babe?" I stayed in my own little bubble. "Baby!" Cody raised his voice. I snapped out of my bubble and looked over at him. "Eat out of the boxes?" "Sure." I mumbled and went back to gazing through the window.

"Hey," He sat down in front of me on the window seat. "I just- I feel numb, Cody." "What do you expect to feel? It's normal to feel this way." "But you seem fine." "I have to be." "Why do I have so much love for something I never had?" My eyes were filled with tears, ready to let them roll down my cheeks.

"Because you believed you could have had it." "How do you feel?" I asked and took a slice of pizza. "We're going to make it through this and we're going to learn from this. Imagine how hard it would have been? You're still in high school, I'm in college, we would never have enough money to support a child with extra privileges too. You're not wrong to grieve, trust me it's okay, but this isn't the end of the world." He rubbed my knee to comfort me.

"I'm worried about something else too." I told him. "Let's talk about it then." "Dad and Brad and James and Alli and-" "Do you want to tell them?" "No. They'll all lecture us and stuff. I don't want to be judged and especially not while it's so raw. You know?" "Well then they don't have to know, we'll keep it between us and make sure Mom and Sam don't say anything." He smiled reassuringly.

"So much has happened in the last few days. I mean, three days ago I was comforting you and now this and I just- I don't know what to do." I started to cry for the billionth time in the last few days. "That's how it works though, baby. You can't be the strong one all the time. You'll break if you have to carry us both all the time." "I guess." I shrugged and continued to eat.

Once we'd stuffed ourselves with all the crap he'd bought, we sat in silence while looking out the window and drinking beer. Suddenly I let out a big sob which caused Cody to look at me quickly. "I just want my mom." I sobbed and covered my face. Cody sprung to his feet and picked me up before sitting down with me curled up in his lap.

"Everything's going to be alright." He whispered while stroking my hair. "We're going to get through this and you're going to be okay." He kissed my head and gently rocked me back and forth while rubbing my back and humming soothingly.

The next time I opened my eyes, I was curled up in a ball next to Cody's motionless body. As my eyes adjusted to being open I noticed that his eyes were open. He was staring at the ceiling fan as it spun around and around and around. His chest would rise and fall rhythmically as he took long deep breaths. Quickly he took an even deeper breath which caused me to notice he was crying.