Chapter 30

When we got back to the house, it was almost three. I'd gone out to get away and have some time to myself before having to spend all my time with Cody for the rest of the night. I was sat on a swing in the park and letting my mind wonder while swinging gently.

"Mind if I sit?" Jason's voice caught my attention. I looked up at him and nodded, he smiled and slowly sat down on the swing next to me. I watched him cautiously and then went back to staring at the ground. "What's up?" "Huh?" My head sprung up so I could look at him. "You've been acting weird all day." "Have I?" "Is there something wrong?" "No." "Cody done something?" He pushed.

I sighed and looked away, trying to hold back tears. "He hasn't done anything." I shook my head. "Hey, Izzy, you can tell me. I know a lot's happened between us but I'll be your friend if that's what you need. You don't have many and I understand how hard it's gotta be to only have Cody's little sister to talk to about him." "He hasn't done anything." I repeated.

"I don't believe you." He told me. "We're going through something at the moment. It's going to be okay though, we're okay." "Do you want to talk about it?" "I don't want to risk anyone finding out." "Who am I going to tell?" "James." "Izzy, who do you think I am? I'm not going to tell anyone anything. I've never told anyone anything you've ever told me."

"They thought I was pregnant." I mumbled. "What?" He choked. "Mhm, had to go to the doctors." "You're not?" "No." "So what's the problem?" "Being told that there could be a child inside of you, growing and coming to life, that means something. And then having that taken away from you at the snap of your fingers, it leaves you heartbroken. Obviously having a baby at this age wouldn't be a good thing but just imagine."

"I'm so sorry, Izzy." "It's hard but it'll go away with time." "Is this why you got mad at James when he wanted to sleep with this girl on their first date?" "Yes." "And got annoyed when we were asking you questions abou-" "Yes, Jason. I've been trying to forget about it all day. It's the reason I came with you guys today, to distract myself."

"Don't cry." He'd noticed my glossy eyes. "I feel useless." I sighed and let a tear roll down my cheek. Jason got up from his swing and picked me up before sitting on the bench with me on his lap. A leg folded either side of his body. "Please don't cry, Izzy. Like you said, things will get easier with time." He wiped my tears away.

"I'm so scared that things won't get easier and we won't be able to get past it." "You and Cody get past everything. He cheated on you and you got past it, you dated someone who he hates passionatly and you got past it, yo-" "But this time neither of us did anything wrong, we both are equally to blame or totally innocent. I just can't work out which one."

"You're going to be okay, Izzy. Maybe this is just a wake up call that you needed so that you'll take more care in being safe and using protection." "But we do!" "How did this happen then?" "There was this one time that we didn't and things got weird and coincidental." "Is that why you're not at school?" "Yeah." "We asked Sam but she got all weird and protective."

"Yeah, she knows about it." "Does Cody's mom know?" "Yes but only those two so you have to keep quiet and promise not to tell anyone." "I won't." He smiled reassuringly. He was looking into my eyes in that way that you do before you kiss someone. "Jason, I-" "Shh." He put his finger on my lips. "No, I'm with Cody. I don't want to kiss you."

"Iz, I'm here for you." He held my chin with his thumb and index finger. I stayed where I was and stared at him as his eyes drifted across my face. He leant towards me and kissed the side of my mouth. I turned my face to the side and let him kiss my cheek. Jason kissed away my tears and then left chaste kisses on my jaw.

"Jason, I can't be doing this." "You're not. I'm doing this." "Jas, please." "Hmm?" He sucked on the skin behind my ear and then kissed my ear. "Can you walk me home?" I mumbled. "Come on then." He sighed and got up, setting me on my feet.