♡ 𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐢𝐜𝐞 ♡

𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐢𝐜𝐞
6.9

(last chapter that isn't an ending)

Two days. That was how long she had left until New Year's. 

She had been invited to go see the fireworks with, well, practically everyone. And she felt that her choice for this would inevitably be her choice of finality. That was the deal. 

That and running away to Greece, which was looking considerably enticing with the passing days. 

She pondered everything, from her current situation to her existence in the universe, as she sat on the rooftop once again. A cigarette would've done her some good at the moment. Her butt was wet and there was no sun, the sky filled with an ocean of monotonous grey. An ideally uncomfortable position for an uncomfortable situation. 

She sighed.

As if her sigh had been a birdcall, her dad climbed out of the window, situating himself next to her with slight concern etched into his face. A blessing, he was, because where there was Keishin Ukai, there was a cigarette.

She didn't even need to word her request. She just blinked at him twice and he got one out of his apron pocket, followed by a lighter. 

After a long drag, she watched the smoke curl into the air, blending in with the rest of the grey that floated idly above her.

"Trouble in paradise?" He said teasingly. 

She groaned, not having the energy to answer back or be witty (or dramatic). The past few days spent at Miyagi had been physically draining, and the choice that came in the next few days weighed heavily on her shoulders, plaguing her mind like some sort of illness-causing disease. 

"Oh to be a teenager with a life-changing decision that has caused me to have a full-on crisis," He mumbled, leaning back so that his back touched the snowy slanted roof. 

Blowing out another jet of smoke, distracting herself with the way it swam and created odd shapes, she looked at him, "It's an enjoyable stage of life," With a mustered up grin.

He paused, eyes softening for a moment, "So what are you going to do?"

She closed her eyes, letting her mind wander to not what she saw, but rather her other senses. The bitter, yet hypnotizing, taste of overshadowed tobacco, mixed with many other chemicals that probably tainted her lungs with their poison. The world was quiet, the wind and the occasional drip of an icicle melting exempt from that peace. The smell of cigarettes and wet snow was far from pleasant, but nowhere near unpleasant. 

The question was odd, given that the point was that she had no idea what to do. It wasn't unreasonable, because she had to do something. 

Her answer was the most reasonable answer she could give.