Stigma

Tae's P.O.V

It was like I was trapped in my worst nightmare I couldn't wake up from. Namjoon was gonna kill me. No, they were all going to kill me. If I didn't die now, that is. I had heard them calling my name.

They sounded angry, confused. I knew it was wrong to leave them there without any warning, but my body acted before I could even think. I heard pleas for help, and it reminded me of the time when this happened to me before. A massacre happened and I ran away. I let people die. I couldn't ignore it. Not this time.

Once again, Jae surprised me by her actions. I didn't know she would feel the need to follow me, and I certainly didn't think she'd ask to help me. I knew she was just as stubborn as me, so asking her to leave again would just be pointless.

That, and now that she was here with me, there was no way I was letting her out of my sight. When she was on my back, I could feel myself flushing over the fact that I could feel her chest against me. It seemed like she had heard my thoughts earlier, and I prayed that wasn't the case, especially now.

I pushed those thoughts out of my mind and tried to focus my hearing. Besides the roaring fire, and occasional shouts from HHA soldiers that I heard in the distance, I let the sobs of distress guide me towards another cage. I had given Jae the keys, so I waited for her to get off. I also loved the fact that she didn't even ask where I had gotten them, or how.

Don't worry, we're here to help you. She's a friend. I said to the frightened panda hybrids in the cage. So far, it seemed like more rare species were being locked up, while others... I emitted a low growl from my throat. The thought of so many innocents being murdered, and for what?

How did they even find this place? More importantly, how did they even get in? All of the questions that would probably remain unanswered were giving me a headache. The cage opened, and the pandas ran free immediately without a word. I didn't need their thanks. I just wanted them to be free.

"I hope they said thank you." she mumbled, climbing on my back again. Once I knew she was securely on me, I raced toward the other cage. It wasn't too much farther away, and I could hear a familiar type of cry that made my heart seize up in my chest. More tiger hybrids like me. The smoke was getting more thick in this particular area, and so I crouched lower to the ground so Jae and I could breathe easier.

It was a miracle we hadn't run into more trouble up until now. I saw the tigers in the cage, they looked older than me, but they weren't elderly. I heard Jae gasp and the tigers started growling at her and me.
We're here to help you. I said, trying to appease them.

I tried to stay calm as Jae made her way to the door, but they were being really aggressive, even towards me, which I didn't understand. I didn't feel comfortable with Jae opening the door to their cage now, as they could harm her. I was walking over when they roared in my direction, causing me to hear a small click behind me and my ears twitched.

"What are you doing out of your cage?" A soldier. I growled in anger, mostly at myself for not being able to sense him nearby. "I don't want to shoot you, since you're one of the rarer ones. So don't make me do it, beast." Could he not see the cage from here? Was Jae and the others' presence unknown? If that were the case, he would have surely addressed her by now.

I bared my teeth at him, making sure to keep his focus on me. I heard the cage door open, and he looked up and past me, telling me he had heard it too. "What the.." as he reached for his walkie, I pounced on him. I was damn lucky he was a lousy shot.