Her

The minute Jae set foot on the grounds of her home, she was escorted swiftly to her father's study, much to her dismay. She was exhausted and just wanted to go to bed. Of course, she was never really allowed to do what she wanted. Her father, sitting at his desk, arms crossed, stared her down sternly. She was used to this by now, and was more annoyed than intimidated. She hated this prison she called a home. Her father was the warden and he was inescapable. He got up from his chair and started walking towards her. "Do I even want to know why you are home so late today? You know you have a strict curfew."

Jae wasn't in the mood to be interrogated so she just gave it to him straight. "I went to see Poppy today. It's her birthday and I didn't want her to be alone." she said, anger building up inside. It was his fault. All his fault. He felt a hand come down on her head and she wanted to reel back, but she stayed still, knowing that would just upset him further.

     "I don't see the point of visiting someone who is no longer alive but, to each their own I suppose." His words stung, and he knew that it was a sensitive subject for her. She fought to not let anger show on her face. "I'm just so happy you came back safe and sound. You're my precious jewel after all. I heard about the hybrid attack. My men said they gave them quite a bit of trouble."

She tried to fight the grin that was trying to creep it's way on her face when she thought of his scary men running in fear from the giant animals. Quite the opposite of what he just said. His men gave her more trouble than the hybrids did. He clapped his hands together, making her jump. "Anyway, speaking of birthdays, yours is in just a few days! Your party is going to be spectacular. I assure you, I've invited all of your friends from school and everyone who would be wonderful future partners for you. It's never too early to start looking." He smiled, and it didn't reach his eyes.

     Jae never felt loved by her father. All he cared about is the empire of business he's created, and how she can benefit him as his heir. Not once has he shown her any real affection her entire life. She was always treated like a doll, a thing that needed to be inside a glass display case at all times. To put it plainly, she hated him. She hated him, she hated what business he dealt with, and she hated him for what he did to Poppy. And he was fully aware of his daughter's resentment.

"However, I can't let today go by without punishment. You're confined to your room until your big birthday bash. Your meals will be delivered and of course anything you need you can tell Heyrin." Heyrin was the head housekeeper, and Jae actually liked her a lot. She was always kind to her. She even helped raise her after her mom got sick. She rolled her eyes, "Dad, I'll miss school. I have a big test coming up."

"Jaelyn, we've talked about lying my dear, don't do that. I contacted your teachers before you came home and they said it would be fine if you missed a few days. You don't have any tests, and you'll barely have any homework. Thanks to your dear old dad." he said, grabbing a scotch glass. "Whatever, can I at least go see mom before I'm back in prison?" Jae asked, tired of acting. He actually called the school. He was becoming more and more controlling the older she got. Wasn't it supposed to be the other way around?

He thought about her question and said yes, and then his phone started buzzing furiously. "Fine, fine, I have to take this." He snapped his fingers, and the doors to his study opened. Heyrin appeared with a sympathetic smile, gesturing for her to come out. Jae huffed and left. She could briefly hear her father's exasperated words, "You caught a what?" before the study doors closed again.

"I'm sorry dear." Heyrin said, walking her up the huge mansion stairs. "It's alright, I don't have to see him at least." she smiled. She didn't want Heyrin to see her upset. She was so used to faking a smile it was a bad habit at this point. "You don't have to put a fake smile around me. I know how unhappy you are here. I know it's early, but I did manage to get you a little something for your birthday." Jae lifted her eyebrows and Heyrin put a finger to her lips. "Think nothing of it. Come on, let's go see your mom."