thirteen

"So if 'n' times the square root of three is the hypotenuse, and 'n' equals six, what is the length of the longest side?" Harry asks. Points to the almost unreadable scribble and cross-outs of math equations.

"I don't know. I keep getting confused about what to do after you find what 'n' equals." Marley sighs. Pushes her hair back with her fingers. Pulls the loose neckline of her sweater back on her shoulder. And glances up at him as she crosses her legs on his matress.

"You solve for the other sides. So if 'n' is six, then the hypotenuse is six times the square root of three." Harry tries to explain.

But it's sort of hard to concentrate because the girl with the crystal blue eyes is sitting in his room. And he hasn't kissed her since Friday, when they skipped school together.

"This sounds like gibberish to me." Marley sighs. Closes her eyes as she feels a migraine coming. And on this Sunday afternoon, she is not in the mood for a migraine. "There's no way I'm passing the test on Thursday."

"It's okay. You'll get it, love." Harry can't help himself as he reaches toward her. And tucks a strand of hair behind her ear.

Her eyes snap open at the gesture. But she doesn't pull away when his hand stays there a beat too long.

"Umm..." Marley smiles slightly. Looks at her notebook to avoid his gaze. And flips through the pages. "Maybe we can move onto something else and I'll ask Mr. Douglas to explain it again tomorrow."

"Alright, what about Law of Sines?" Harry suggests. Picks up his own notebook. Flips to his notes on the subject. "Or Law of Cosines."

"Sines aren't that difficult." Marley shrugs. "Just remember that the sine of angle 'A' over side of 'a' is equal to sine of angle 'B' over side 'b' and the same for sine of angle 'C' and side 'c'."

"Because that's not confusing at all." Harry smiles.

Marley laughs and tosses her notebook back on the matress before falling back into his pillows. "I give up!"

Harry smiles at the sight of her spread across his bed. Because he's a hormonal teenage boy, after all. And he's alone with the girl whose crystal blue eyes are the most beautiful he's ever seen. And she's sprawled across his bed.

She rolls onto her side. And jokingly remarks, "goodnight."

"Fine." Harry smiles. Piles up their papers and notebooks before setting them on the floor. And lies down next to her.

She scoots away slightly to a more modest distance. But relaxes into the pillows that are far more comfortable than hers. "Your bed feels like a cloud."

He just smiles at her closed eyelids. And the way her hair falls around her head in every direction. And how she seems a bit more open around him Today.

"You're really beautiful, you know that?" And Harry wants to slap himself because for a moment he thinks she might feel uncomfortable and leave.

But then she smiles. "Shut up." And with eyes still closed, she grabs a random pillow before hitting him in the face with it.

"Ow." He laughs. Lets the pillow fall off the bed and onto the floor. And stares up at the ceiling with a stupid, dimpled grin plastered across his face.

Marley opens one eye and peers up at his profile. The curve of his features. And the slight dip at the bridge of his nose. And the sharpness of his jawline. And the dimples in his cheeks when he smiles. And the pink fullness of his lips.

Harry is slightly startled when Marley quickly sits up.

"I should probably go."

"You don't have to." Harry insists. Even though she's a walking disaster and all cold fingers and sleeveless black dresses that hang a little too loose. Even though being around her is nearly torture because all he wants to do is kiss her but doesn't know how she'll react this time if he did. Because he's pretty sure she doesn't feel the same way about him.