fourteen

Marley kneels on the floor next to her brother. Because he's shaking in a cold sweat on the couch. And he looks like deception and doesn't really smell like addiction anymore. More like vomit and withdrawal.

"What can I do?" She asks, pulling another blanket over him.

"I d-don't want this anymore." Jax says. His voice is angry but flat at the same time. "Just get me some heroin."

"No way. You've come this far. You can do it, Jax."

"I don't even want to quit." He tries to reason. But he's past reasoning at this point.

"Yes you do, Jax. I know it's hard now but you'll be happier when you're not dependant on this anymore." Marley insists.

He sighs. Knows she's right. But doesn't want to admit it.

"I have to go, but I put minutes on your phone yesterday. Call me if you need anything." Marley holds up her prepaid flip phone to show him she has it. "No texting, though. That's extra."

"Okay, mom, I'll be fine." Jax says with the smallest hint of a smile.

"Okay." Marley says. Gets up off the floor and makes sure once again that Jax knows his phone is on the coffee table before walking out the door.

And then she stops in her tracks because Harry is in her driveway. Leaning against his Range Rover. Waiting for her.

"What are you doing here?" She asks. Quickly tucks her embarrassing flip phone into her bag.

"Thought you might like a ride." He smiles.

"There is a such thing as a bus." Marley says as she walks toward him.

"Yeah, but I've got heated seats." Harry smirks jokingly.

Marley rolls her eyes. And smiles despite her attempts not to. "Okay, rich boy. You've got me there."

Really? Is it really about the heated seats?

And then he opens her door for her. Just like he always does. But this time, for some reason, it makes her blush. And smile wider.

You're ridiculous.

"There's nothing wrong with having a friend." Marley says to her subconcious as Harry walks around the car to the other side.

Yes there is! He'll notice eventually! He has almost caught on once already. How long do you think you can keep this up?!

But Marley doesn't respond because Harry opens his door and climbs inside.

As they ride, Marley rests her arm on the middle console and looks out the window.

And Harry is an adorable idiot, so he wants to hold her hand. Debates it for a few seconds. Takes a deep breath.

And laces their fingers together.

Marley looks at him as soon as he does so. But he's watching the road.

"What are you doing?" She asks. Tries not to think about how she likes the feeling of his hand around hers.

"Huh? Just driving..." he smirks, glancing over at her before looking back at the road.

"Mhm." Her tone is sarcastic. Joking. She looks back out the window. But lets him hold her hand.

And Harry smiles the rest of the drive to school.

____________________________________

Acacia stops Harry in the hallway just before third period.

"Hey, Harry! Wait a sec."