sixtytwo

After school, the first thing Marley does is pull out her new phone and dial Harry's number.

She sent him a text earlier, but he didn't respond. And she thought maybe it was because of the new number. At least she hoped so.

Marley hasn't talked to Harry since they said their goodbyes. And Maria can't help but slip in the thought that maybe he's glad she's finally gone. Out of his life.

But he wouldn't do that. Because he loves her.

Right?

As the phone rings and rings, Marley can't help the worry that settles into her stomach. Her mind wandering to the last time she saw him. That morning after the glorious night she told him she loved him.

loves him.

Still does.

Isn't sure she could ever stop. Even if she wanted to.

When Marley hears his voice, she stops in the middle of the floor. "Hey, you've reached Harry." But it's just his voicemail. "Sorry I can't answer your call but leave a message and I'll give you a ring."

She contemplates hanging up. Doesn't know what to say. But then it beeps. Telling her to speak. "H...Hi--umm... Hey." She stutters. "It's Marley--umm--my dad got me a new phone. Wow that sounds weird to say. 'My dad' I mean. But, uh... I miss you. Call me back when you get this--if... if you want."

A pause. She doesn't know if she should say it.

But she does anyway. "I love you, Harry... umm... yeah. Bye." And hangs up.

"I didn't know you had a boyfriend." Fiona says from the doorway.

Markey clutches her phone to her chest. "You scared me."

Her half sister walks into the room. Sits down on her bed. "Oh, sorry." Smiles. "Tell me about him."

"His name is Harry." Marley immediately smiles at the mention of him.

Fiona rolls her eyes playfully. "Well yeah. I got that from the little sigh and the 'I love you, Harry' thing."

"Oh," Marley's cheeks feel warm, "you heard that."

"Is it hard? Being away from him?" Fiona asks.

Marley nods. Sits next to Fiona on her bed. "Harder than I thought was possible." She suddenly finds herself opening up to her sister. "I've always been the kind of person who didn't need anyone else but... it's different with him. He's the first person I've trusted in a really long time."

"That's really sweet." Fiona says. "I wish I had someone like that."

"You're fourteen." Marley says.

"Age is but a number, darling." Fiona smiles. Purposely speaks in a posh voice. "But seriously. Tell me everything."

"Well, he's got this... magnificent accent. He was born in England." Marley explains. Her lips curling up slightly. "And he has this thing that he says. Something about my eyes remind him of ice or something but it sounds so poetic the way he puts it."

"Wow." Fiona says. In encouragement to continue.

"He's the kindest person I've met in my entire life. He just makes me feel safe." She turns to her sister. Realizing she's saying too much. She's gotten a bit too used to vulnerability. Her eyes go wide. "Sorry. I'm gushing."

Fiona is smiling wider than Marley. And Marley thinks her sister is probably always smiling. Fiona is a far happier person than she is. And she wonders if she would have been more like her had Marley grown up the way Fiona did.