fortythree

The pants Vivian gave her fit loosely. And she does have to tie the strings to keep them up on her hips. When she pulls on the jersey, she looks in the mirror. Smiles at how ridiculous she looks in penguin pants and her makeup still done.

The rain had dropped into her eyes but the mascara Vivian used must be waterproof. Because it didn't smudge or run down her freckled cheeks.

Her hair however, is a mess of wet, half curled strands. She pulls out all of the pins and sets them on the sink. Pulls her fingers through the tangles as she does.

But it's no use, really. She will have to wash her hair to get it back to normal. What with all the hairspray products and rain water that tangled it together. So Marley finds a hair elastic in a jar by the sink. And pulls it into a ponytail before twisting it into a bun to hide the knots.

Just as she's about to walk out of the bathroom, she sees a scale on the floor. And with little thought, she pads over and steps on.

The one she has at home is old with a simple red hand that slides over when you step on. But this one is digital. And it takes a moment for Marley to realize she's supposed to press the power button on the front with her foot.

It makes a small ding noise once it's on. And she looks around the empty bathroom, wondering if anyone heard it outside the door.

She waits a moment. Can only hear the soft mumbles of chatter coming from Vivian's room on the other side of the wall.

No one comes knocking. So she thinks she's safe. And steps back onto the scale.

"That can't be right." She whispers. Steps off. Reboots the power. And tries again. But it still says the same thing.

See what being around these people has done? You've gained weight! This is a disaster and it's all your fault!

"It has to be the scale." She shakes her head. Stands in front of the full length mirror on the back of the door. Lifts her borrowed shirt.

Her hip bones are still slightly visible. And if she sucks in her stomach, they protrude out harshly. Marley turns sideways and runs her hand over her abdomen.

It has to be the scale. But if it is, that means the one she has at home is a bit off. About four pounds off.

She sighs. And grabs her dress, which is still a bit damp. Hangs it on the curtain rod of the shower next to the others. A towel already on the floor in case they drip.

She looks in the mirror once more. And with a sigh, exits the bathroom.

It's not the scale. You know it isn't. You've gotten fat again. Maria's voice brings stinging tears to Marley's eyes as she walks down the hall. A few escaping before she can wipe them away.

"Marr." Harry calls when she passes by his door.

She composes herself. Blinks a few times and quickly makes sure her cheeks are dry when she steps back into sight.

He's alone in his room. But the sound of voices downstairs tells her that the other boys have moved to the living room. No doubt playing more video games.

He's fully clothed this time. Sitting at his bedroom desk, clad in a black hoodie and dark blue basketball shorts. His hair tied back, just like hers.