fiftyseven

(Unedited. As always, feel free to point out typos.)

Dorrit never thought of herself as a heartbreaker. She loved whole-heartedly and fell head first in relationships.

And Xander was no exception.

Even after kissing Vivian, she accepted his affection as though nothing changed. But now she feels like she's living a lie. She still loves him... but that's sort of the problem. How is she supposed to chose between the boy she has loved since their first year of high school and her best friend? When she's so quickly falling for Vivian, and yet, still so in love with Xander?

Why couldn't she just like boys? Why start liking girls now? Why couldn't she just be a happy girl in love with her boyfriend?

End of story.

Roll the credits.

If only life were as easy and as happy-ended as a fairytale.

"You awake?" Xander's voice is soft in her ear but pulls her from her thoughts. She looks over at him. His soft smile still somewhat tired-looking despite it already being their lunch period.

But to be fair, they have the earliest lunch hour of the day.

"Sorry," she says, returning his smile. "I must have zoned out."

"For a solid two minutes," he adds. His smile fades slightly, "are you okay?"

"Fine." She nods. Though she isn't sure how entirely convincing it is. "Just worried about a quiz I have next period."

Of course it's a lie.

She's thinking about soft lips with pink gloss and green eyes with thick lashes. And worrying that the boy next to her will find out the wrong way and not love her anymore.

Because despite everything, she still loves him.

So much.

Enough that she knows she has to be the one to tell him. But finding the right moment will be the tricky part.
____________

Vivian is torn apart. Ashton won't return her calls and she doesn't feel like she can go to Dorrit either. Their kiss made that option awkward and unapproachable. She tried calling Carrie but in the process of trying to explain why she was upset, she couldn't get the words out.

She didn't want to admit that she kissed Dorrit. Or more importantly, kissed her and liked it.

"I don't understand what you're trying to say," Carrie says. "Just tell me what happened."

Viv sighs. "I... kissed someone else." She holds her breath. As if she knows her next sentence will open the floodgates to a rant. "And he caught us."

She cringes. Because it makes her sound like a bad person. But she's loved Dorrit forever, just not in this way. It's different that she kissed Dorrit and not some stranger or hot guy she's suddenly into.

It's just different.

"Wait, what?!" Carrie of course is judging her now. For that Vivian is certain. "Of course he's mad at you. But who?"

"That's not important."

But it is.

"It's not?"