fiftytwo

"Hold still."

"It tickles!" Harry smiles. Marley rolls her eyes.

"Sit still or I'll accidentally chop off your ear." She sighs. But her smile is as wide as his.

Her fingers run through his hair again as she stands behind him. She was mostly joking when she said he should cut his hair before.

But here they are. In the middle of Marley's kitchen. A pair of scissors in her hand. And Harry sitting in one of the wooden dining chairs with a towel clipped around his shoulders.

Oh, boy.

"Are you sure you won't mess up?" Harry asks. For possibly the tenth time.

"Yes. I used to cut my brother's hair all the time." She says. "But you don't have to cut it, you know."

"Yes I do. You said it was too long." They've already had this conversation. Twice.

Yet here they are.

"I was joking." Marley's fingers are still combing through his hair. She sets the scissors to the side. And uses both hands to pull it all back into a ponytail before dropping it and doing it again.

"It's as long as yours."

"No it's not." She says. But it's pretty close.

"If you don't want to cut it I'll go to a real hairdresser." He tilts his head back to look up at her. Fights a smile. His tone jokingly mocking.

"I'll do it." She sighs. "But once I start you have to sit still."

"Yes, ma'am." He says. Looking forward again as his smile breaks wide across his cheeks. But she can't see.

"I'm starting now." Marley says. Picks up the scissors again.

"Okay."

"Here I go."

"Ready when you are." He shakes his head slightly as he chuckles softly to himself.

"Stop moving."

"Sorry."

And then they're quiet. Harry can feel Marley's cold fingers graze across his neck occasionally. And the sensation raises goosebumps.

Then he hears the soft snip snip of the scissors. And then she hands him his ponytail.

"That's a lot of hair." He says. But sort of enjoys the way his head feels lighter.

"Did I cut off too much?" Marley worries he might be angry. She really only knows how to cut the one hairstyle Jax always wore.

"No, it's perfect." Harry suddenly realizes. "Isn't donating hair a thing? Isn't this enough?"

"I have no clue." Marley smiles. Focuses on the hair around his ears. Trying not to chop one off in the process. "But of course you would think of that."

"What do you mean?" He tries to turn to look at her. And she pushes his head back with two fingers on his jaw. He mumbles a "sorry" but laughs anyway.