twentythree

Fireflies. As soon as night falls, that's all Marley can think. Because they fly through the air with such grace, lighting only for a moment before going dark and disappearing.

And maybe she knew even then. Maybe she knew she might end up like those fireflies. Beautiful. But only lasting a short moment before moving on.

Still. In this moment, they dance like stars. And she finds them mesmerizing.

Though everyone else is more interested in roasting marshmallows.

Even Harry is preoccupied. A marshmallow stick in one hand as he talks to Xander. But Marley can slightly feel his body heat next to her. And when the wind blows, she leans into him slightly.

He doesn't seem to notice.

But he does. Harry notices every little thing. And Xander has to repeat what he says multiple times because Harry is so distracted.

And then his marshmallow catches on fire.

"Do you like them black?" Her voice is course in a soft way. In a way that Harry loves.

He quickly takes it away from the fire and blows out the flame.

"Oops." He laughs.

And she smiles. The girl with the crystal blue eyes that remind him of icicles and frost bitten noses smiles. And so does he.

Because she's here with him. And they have the whole weekend together.

"Do you want it?" He asks her.

She shakes her head. "It's burnt, ew no."

Good excuse.

"You can roast one." He offers. "There's plenty for everyone."

"I don't even like marshmallows." She lies. "But thank you."

He wants to kiss her. Boy, does he want to kiss her.

"Well if you change your mind..." Harry sets the bag next to her foot.

Don't even think about it.

But Marley is occasionally weak. She does sort of want one. Sort of.

It will go straight to your thighs! Don't do it!

So she doesn't. And a moment later the bag is passed down the circle and she relaxes.

The wind rustles the trees above their heads. It's a soft and pleasant sound that makes Marley close her eyes and think of red and orange trees. And happy smiles. And her mother.

It reminds her of a happier time when her brother didn't smell like addiction and she didn't have to constantly take care of herself.

For a minute she wonders where her mother is in the world. What possibly could be so great that it made her leave them behind.

Marley catches Harry looking at her. A smile on his lips and the glow of the campfire lighting up his eyes and giving the troubled kind of green something more electrifying than she has ever seen.

But what she doesn't know is it's not a reflection of fire in his eyes, but the spark she set in them with just a simple glance.

And she takes in every detail she possibly can. The starburst of lighter green sprouting out from his pupil on top of a darker, almost blue. But still green.

Then set on fire. And it's beautiful.

Harry finds himself caught in her gaze, too. And like him, the fire's glow so beautiful in her eyes.