fiftyfour

Harry's stunned silence sent daggers through his sister's heart.

For some reason she felt like his approval was necessary. That it would make it right. Because if Harry was happy for her for having feelings for a girl, then she could be, too.

Right?

But Harry knows it's more complicated. Because now his sister has to chose between her best friend and her boyfriend. And whomever she doesn't chose, she may end up losing forever.

So yeah. It's a bit too complicated. And so Harry is quiet.

"I don't know what to do." Viv says.

"I wish I had the answers for you, Vivie." He pulls her in for a hug. And sighs. "You just have to follow your heart."

"But what does that mean?" She says. "Who does that mean?"

And again Harry is quiet. Because he doesn't know. There's no way for him to know.

"That's something you have to figure out on your own... but let them know you need time. And if they really care about you, they'll wait."

Just like Harry waits for Marley. Because he loves her and her crystal blue eyes that remind him of icicles and frost-bitten noses--although, more recently, melting rivers and budding daisies.

Vivian nods. "Thanks, Harry."

"Do you want some tea?" He asks. Because his sister loves tea. Adores tea. And he hopes it will help her feel a bit better.

"Of course I do." She smiles.

"Alrighty, then." He hops up from the couch and heads toward the kitchen. Glad to brighten up his sister's low mood.

He hears her laugh from the other room as he fills a tea pot with water. And smiles. It's not long before he turns around to see her following him into the kitchen. The blanket from the couch wrapped around her shoulders.

The same blanket Marley had used not long ago. After homecoming. When she fell asleep on his shoulder.

"Your phone is beeping." Vivian says. Sits at the kitchen island table and sets Harry's phone out in front of her. "It says you have a missed call from Marley."

"Oh, thanks." His heart skips a beat from the thought of her calling him. "I'll call back later."

Of course he wants to call her right away. But thinks it would be rude to step out of the room and call her now. And he would rather not have his sister listening in on their conversation either.

"So you're pretty smitten with her, huh?" Vivie asks.

"Yeah." Harry sets the pot on the hot stove and rips open a few tea packets.

"She told me something." This catches his attention. And he turns. "About the two of you. And I don't know how I'm supposed to react to it."

Harry is puzzled. And quiet. So Vivian continues.

"At first I was angry. Because you're my brother and..." She trails off.