fiftythree

Dorrit never had a romantic dream about a girl before. It was sort of weird.

And she isn't sure how to feel about it. Especially when that girl is her best friend.

I mean people have weird dreams all the time. It doesn't mean anything, really.

Right?

Either way. It was nothing short of awkward in class the next morning. And since then it's slowly become a thing. That's the only way she knows how to describe it.

A thing.

Vivian wore her hair in a beautiful, single French braid that day. And Dorrit caught herself multiple times, staring at her neck and thinking about how soft the skin there would be if she kissed it.

She felt angry at herself every time she thought those things.

And since then it's slowly become a thing. That's the only way she knows how to describe it.

A thing.

Because now, two weeks later, she isn't sure if it was just a dream anymore. Or if it was actual feelings showing up when her head wasn't awake enough to push them back below the surface.

Dorrit isn't a lesbian. She can't be. She's liked boys her whole life. She loves Xander.

Arguably, her first love was the actor Johnny Depp. Her first boyfriend was in third grade. A little boy named Liam that picked her flowers during recess. Her first kiss was on the playground by the swigs. A handful of those freshly picked flowers grasped  in her small hand.

Dorrit has always liked boys. And yet here we are.

"Dory..." Vivian says. "Dorrit. Earth to Dorrit."

"Hmm?" She realizes she was doing it again. Thinking about her dream again.

Oh lord.

Vivian pops a grape in her mouth as they sit at her kitchen table. They're supposed to be doing homework but Dorrit is obviously distracted. "I said do you want to sleep over tonight?"

Oh lord.

"Umm... No I have plans with Xander." She lies. Xander is going to visit his mom in New York this weekend. But Vivian doesn't know that.

"Okay." She shrugs. Picks up her phone to text her boyfriend. "I'll invite Ash over or something."

Dorrit nods. Staring at her notebook. Doesn't really understand the feeling in her chest when Vivian mentions Ashton.

It's like a twisting. But more sharp. And it spreads through her shoulders and up her neck until her cheeks feel warm with it.

It's jealousy.

Viv hits send and sets down her phone. "You okay?"

"Yeah."

She doesn't believe her. "Doritto I'm your best friend. You can tell me."

"It's nothing I'm just tired from school and everything." Dorrit says. Starts putting her books away because she's not getting anything done anyway. She shouldn't have come to Vivian's to study. She knew she wouldn't get anything done.