thirtyeight

Harry has gotten used to Marley being around his house after school. They're normally studying, but today they sit in his living room. With the TV on and the small space between their sides alight with a fiery electricity that has yet to dwindle from this morning.

No one else is home. And it's something Harry is very much aware of. But he won't say anything because the girl with the crystal blue eyes that remind him of icicles and frost-bitten noses is worth being patient for.

Even when the rest of the world just isn't.

Marley's eyes are trained on the random movie they decided to watch. She isn't sure what it's called but the main character kind of looks like her. And she's hoping the ending is happy.

Harry is only partially watching the movie. But Marley seems interested in it so every few minutes he scrolls through his phone to keep himself occupied. And to keep himself from leaning over and pressing his lips to her neck.

Ya know. No biggie.

That is until Marley brings her legs up on the couch. Wraps her arms around them. And shivers.

"Are you cold?"

"I'm always cold." She smiles. Because it's true. Marley is all cold fingers and icicles and frost-bitten noses. And they both sort of know it.

"I'll get you a blanket." Harry says, getting up from the couch.

"No, you don't have to. I'll--"

"Marr." He cuts her off. But smiles because even when it's something so simple, she wants to be independent. "You're shivering."

"I'm fine."

"Marley." He opens the closet where they keep a few blankets and coats. Kind of just likes saying her name.

"Harry." She responds as she sits back into the brown leather couch. Kind of just likes saying his name.

There's a fluffy white blanket at the top and he reaches it easily with his tall height. Harry strolls back over to her. A smirk on his lips and a dimple in his cheek.

Marley sits up straighter as he does. And takes her feet off the couch. Something about his eyes trained on hers makes her comply.

Or maybe it's because she really is cold. And the blanket looks warm and cozy. At least, that's what she tries to tell herself.

But when he drapes the soft fabric over her shoulders. And kneels in front of her, eyes never leaving hers, she melts.

He is fire and she is ice. So, she melts.

There in his eyes is everything she doesn't want to acknowledge. But she just can't look away.

It's fake, Marley. He's playing you.

But Marley sort of knows you can't fake this. So maybe Maria isn't always right.

"Thank you." She says.

Harry's fingers still hold the edge of the blanket. And he uses it to pull her a little closer to him. A hint of a smile still on his mouth. "You're welcome, baby."